Routine maint - this sound about right?

This is a discussion on Routine maint - this sound about right? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2005 Subaru WRX 75,000 miles I just received a quote from a local shop that I have come to trust ...

Routine maint - this sound about right?

2005 Subaru WRX
    75,000 miles

I just received a quote from a local shop that I have come to trust and would really appreciate a little input from the guru's. I am starting to notice some (minor) hesitations on hard acceleration, which seems quite probable given the original spark plugs at 75k miles. I would normally consider giving this routine maint. a shot myself, but I no longer have an inside location to work on the car, or get it up off the ground enough to work on it. Due to Subaru dealerships changing hands in this area, I would prefer to take it to the local shop that I know.

Platinum Plug replacement = $170
    Transmission fluid and filter change = $128
    Front and rear differential fluid change = $122
    Coolant change = $90
    Terra-clean fuel system flush = $188

A few questions:

1) The local shop mentioned this car is a coil over system, no plug wires. Other shops that I called had no trouble quoting me cost on wires. Are there plug wires on this thing or not?

2) Some of the other shops that I received quotes from indicated that they would do the tranny fluid change, but not the filter. This particular local shop is doing both the fluid and the filter. Why would some shops charge nearly $100 just to cyphon out and replace fluid only?

3) I wasn't aware there was a front differential. Is this common for all cars that have front drive wheels? My knowledge of front wheel drive is very limited.

4) Has anyone had any experience with these fuel system flushes? It sounds as though they actually flush the intake, can this damage anything? I'm an old school guy, and never heard of this before, but the mechanics seem to REALLY encourage this as a very effective procedure at getting the car running as smooth as it did out of the factory.

The prices seem about right from what I can tell. Thanks in advance for any input or shared experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1) WRX's have coil packs, the sparks are made in each individual pack, no need to replace unless they're broken in some way.

2) There's no transmission filter on the 5spds, AT may be different.

3) 5spds don't have a front diff.

4) No idea about a flush like that

Quote Originally Posted by Koobes View Post
    3) 5spds don't have a front diff.
    Thanks, Koobes.

If there is no front differential, is the differential speed of the front wheels simply controlled through the transmission directly?

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no distinct fluid reservoir for the front differential. The differential itself does exist but maintenance is performed when the gearbox lube is changed in manual gearbox cars.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You can change the transmission, differential and coolant fluids yourself for way less than the price they quoted you. It is not hard at all. DIY.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    You can change the transmission, differential and coolant fluids yourself for way less than the price they quoted you. It is not hard at all. DIY.
    I'd love to do all this stuff on my own, as I had done as a younger man. Unfortunately, if I even lift the hood in underground parking, I'll have 10 nosey neighbors on my case reminding me that we can't work on our cars on the property. That coupled with the fact that I've already used some friends places to change out brakes and such, and my tools these days are limited, just doesn't make sense to do it myself anymore.

I'm also a bit rusty at vehicle maint, and I have a natural aversion to bleeding.

Thanks for the assistance guys. The plug change made an extraordinary difference in performance - I was surprised it had degraded that much.

The only thing that I found a little strange is a very strong smell of petroleum in the cabin when I'm at a stoplight and drawing in outside air - still strong even a few days after the service. No puddles, so hopefully everything is okay.
    Last edited by KryptoNyte; 02-27-2010 at 03:10 PM.