WRX left me stranded last night....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX left me stranded last night.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What a bummer.. We were on our way to the mountains for a nice belated Valentines Day weekend in the ...

WRX left me stranded last night....

What a bummer.. We were on our way to the mountains for a nice belated Valentines Day weekend in the Smokies. I had one of my motorcycles on the trailer behind the car and it just quit a little over an hour away from home. Cruise control set, running about 60mph, and it just died. It seems symptomatic of a broken timing belt, which is really going to piss me off if that's what it turns out. The car has 114K on the clock, and the timing belt was replaced at 105K.

I ended up pulling the bike off the trailer, riding back home, got in the truck, and drove back out to get the trailer, all the stuff out of the car, and the wife, and drove back home again.

I just picked up a trailer and am getting ready to go pick it up now and am going to drop it off at the shop that did the belt for me.

I have had this car a little over a year, and love driving it. I hope this turns out to be a simple issue....
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bummer. What gear were you cruising in when the car died?

Ninja edit: Did you have the idler pulleys replaced along with the timing belt?
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Cruising in 5th gear, cruise control set.

I believe they replaced just the belt. It's back at the shop now, so he will check it out.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

That sucks I have 214,xxx on my original belt and no problems yet. I plan on changing it thou I have ordered a complete kit last thursday so I should be changing it next coming weekend. I do all my own work and do not trust the stealer ship last time I brought my car there for the fuel line recall they it up plus broke alot of clips they must of just yanked on them and broke them all. They didnt replace any of them even when asked. The radiator was leaking and I just put a new one in less than a year ago.ect,ect,ect. The car went back three times untill everything was fixed right.
    Last edited by mycologist; 02-21-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: swear filter

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spt02wrx View Post
    That sucks I have 214,xxx on my original belt and no problems yet. I plan on changing it thou I have ordered a complete kit last thursday so I should be changing it next coming weekend. I do all my own work and do not trust the stealer ship last time I brought my car there for the fuel line recall they f**KD it up plus broke alot of clips they must of just yanked on them and broke them all. They didnt replace any of them even when asked. The radiator was leaking and I just put a new one in less than a year ago.ect,ect,ect. The car went back three times untill everything was fixed right.
    Wow 214k on the original belt? You're damn lucky it's lasted this long...

To the OP, sucks ass man. Did you attempt to start it again? If it turned freely without clunks or didn't seeze, it's probably not the timing belt. Could be a fuel pump just quitting on you or something?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

That sucks I have 214,xxx on my original belt and no problems yet. I plan on changing it thou I have ordered a complete kit last thursday so I should be changing it next coming weekend. I do all my own work and do not trust the stealer ship last time I brought my car there for the fuel line recall they f**KD it up plus broke alot of clips they must of just yanked on them and broke them all. They didnt replace any of them even when asked. The radiator was leaking and I just put a new one in less than a year ago.ect,ect,ect. The car went back three times untill everything was fixed right.
    That's not to bright. That breaks or jumps you pretty much will wipe out a good portion of your valves.

It turns over freely and I can hear the fuel pump cycling, so I a bit clueless at the moment. I got it back to the shop I use yesterday. The owner is a good friend and is about the only person I trust working on my stuff. Guess we'll see this week some time. I'll post up when they find out. He did say that it did not sound like timing belt though....
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

I Support ClubWRX
    That sucks I have 214,xxx on my original belt and no problems yet. I plan on changing it thou I have ordered a complete kit last thursday so I should be changing it next coming weekend. I do all my own work and do not trust the stealer ship last time I brought my car there for the fuel line recall they it up plus broke alot of clips they must of just yanked on them and broke them all. They didnt replace any of them even when asked. The radiator was leaking and I just put a new one in less than a year ago.ect,ect,ect. The car went back three times untill everything was fixed right.
    Please stop dodging the swear filter.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Not sure why this got moved. I never asked for advice to fix it.

Anyway, my mech called me and it turns out that the bolt holding the timing belt tensioner broke, which then caused the belt to get thrown and also took out the crank timing belt pully, which apparently has a crank position sensor on it.

He is going to replace the idler pully, belt, crank pully and the broken bolt.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post

Anyway, my mech called me and it turns out that the bolt holding the timing belt tensioner broke, which then caused the belt to get thrown and also took out the crank timing belt pully, which apparently has a crank position sensor on it.

Do not crank that engine without checking your valves. If that belt snapped off and took some cam gears out very best scenario you got a couple bent valves. Worst scenario is they are all bent.

Not a good idea to tow in fifth with a WRX. I've towed with my previous trucks and despite the urge to pop it into 5th since the rpm's are getting high, I slow down instead.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX

I moved it. You just gave the advise on how to fix it. We try to help people or help them help themselves at least
    Last edited by mycologist; 02-22-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Are these motors zero tolerance? It's an 03 model, which I does not take the higher octane fuel, so I presume there is a little more room to play with in there.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Are these motors zero tolerance? It's an 03 model, which I does not take the higher octane fuel, so I presume there is a little more room to play with in there.
    They are an interference engine so if the belt breaks chances are you bent some valves. Hence why I said your mechanic should test that before he just slaps what he needs to on there and starts the engine possibly doing more damage. I work at a subaru dealer, I see this all the time.

I went this evening and took a close look at a few things, and it's obvious that the tensioner bolt had backed out for a while and had not come out simply because it was held in by the timing belt cover, until it broke....

Needless to say, it has bent valves and the mechanic that did the belt is highly pissed at himself right now.....
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast