WRX left me stranded last night.... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX left me stranded last night.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When they did the belt did they put new all new pullies ect on or at least check them. It ...

When they did the belt did they put new all new pullies ect on or at least check them. It is recomended that they do so. Check the bearings in the pulley to see if they seized if not maybe mechanic didnt torque to the right spec. I was wondering why subaru didn't recomend putting some loctite on the threads before reinstalling so something like that would not happen. Im going to do it to mine when I do it.

Either way Old pulley bearing seized or not torqued to spec Id make him responsible for a New engine!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just a follow up..

As I stated before, the timing cover showed definate marks that the tensioner bolt backed out and was only held in place by the cover, until it finally broke. The tensioner then fell and caused the belt to come off, and the tensioner made contact with the crank pulley, and took out the section that the crank position sensor picks up. So....

Crank pulley
    Tensioner
    Idler pulley
    8 valves known bent to date.

The mech is covering everything, and I am going to buy new pulleys to replace the rest of the idler pulleys while it's apart, as well as a new water pump. I may go ahead and get a new up-pipe while I am at it.

I have pics of everything so far, but the heads have not yet been pulled, so at the moment, it is unknown if there is any piston damage.
    Last edited by meanstrk; 02-27-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

^^ Wow that sucks!

I didn't know these cars had timing belts. Do the newer models have timing chains?

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    ^^ Wow that sucks!

I didn't know these cars had timing belts. Do the newer models have timing chains?
    No chains on subarus.

Latest update...

Heads are off and there is no apparent piston damage. I'll be going today to take a look myself...

(I have been taking pics of everything)

I ordered an aftermarket up-pipe while it's apart. May as well put a new one in! The car has been mechanically stock to this point and I have been trying to avoid modding it. Most of my spare money goes to track days as it is, but with motorcycles!
    Last edited by meanstrk; 03-01-2010 at 06:24 AM.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.