Fuel Level Sensor.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel Level Sensor. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today i got a CEL. Hooked it up and......Fuel Level Sensor! I was just wanting to know if anyone has ...

Fuel Level Sensor.

Today i got a CEL. Hooked it up and......Fuel Level Sensor! I was just wanting to know if anyone has had to replace one of these, and how hard it was to do so. I dont do alot of working on my car, but i dont want to spend alot of money to get this replaced by a shop if i can do it myself. Thanks for any help!
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX - FP 68HTA'd
    2007 Honda Civic Si (Stock) - Traded it for ^^^

Blobeye Syndicate #728

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's kind of a hard problem because the fuel level sensor is in the tank attached to the fuel pump assembly... is your gas guage not working correctly? Replacing a pump isn't too hard of a thing to do, just a bit of a pain in the ass, so it will be about the same amount of work. Remove the assembly, replace sensor, reinstall.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 02-19-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Today it said I had a half tank of gas, but the gas light was on! :P

It has done this once before, but it fixed itself, worked fine. Then after about a month (which happens to be today) it started to do it again.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

I Support ClubWRX
    Part number is 42081FE020 BTW.

Well, you could start by checking all of the connections on the assembly, you don't have to take out the pump that way, just look at the top of it to make sure it's all connected right. If it is, you'll have to go into the tank to either jar the sensor loose, or replace it, depending on how it looks.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Bleh! Any idea how hard that might be? Im not too great with cars. I hate the thought of messing more stuff up because I dont know what the heck I'm doing!

Blobeye Syndicate #728

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005sti View Post
    Bleh! Any idea how hard that might be? Im not too great with cars. I hate the thought of messing more stuff up because I dont know what the heck I'm doing!
    Here's a how to for ya.

FUEL PUMP INSTALL

It's basic tools, really, but it's a bit of a pain to get the thing in and out. At least it's in a good location for this kind of thing. As long as you can scruntch into the trunk :P
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 02-19-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

thats the how to?

by the way, i dont know if i mentioned it or not, but my car is an 05 WRX!

Blobeye Syndicate #728

I Support ClubWRX
    thats the how to?

by the way, i dont know if i mentioned it or not, but my car is an 05 WRX!
    Sorry, forgot to put the link in, it's there now lol

Here it is again though:
    FUEL PUMP INSTALL
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Should i replace the sensor? Or just replace the fuel pump? And if i replace the fuel pump, should i use a stock one or go up to something better?

Blobeye Syndicate #728

Should i replace the sensor? Or just replace the fuel pump? And if i replace the fuel pump, should i use a stock one or go up to something better?
    Since Subaru came out with the one way fuel valve removal recall on some newer model Foresters and Imprezas Ive prob replaced 100+ fuel pumps in the past few weeks...not to toot my own horn..LMAO... Anyways to answer your question I would just replace the sender...Personally I would prob. get both Senders fore Subarus have 2 because of the split tank... Of course I ran into this problem on an 09 Impreza and no tech at the dealership with the help from tech-line could figure out the problem...So needless to say going by a shot from the hip 90% of the time the sender goes bad...however it could obviously be something else such as wiring or gauge problem...When you remove the fuel pump assembly after its out of the tank plug it back in and turn the key to the ON position (DO NOT START THE VEHICLE)..move the sender handle with your hand and see if the gauge on the dash moves at all....

I Support ClubWRX
    Just the sending unit as Evo stated. While you're in there and if you have the money, plus plans to make your car into something much more than it is now, you could go ahead and replace the pump while you're at it.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

If i do upgrad fuel pumps, which should i go with? I never plan on pushing more than 300hp/300tq into my car.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

If i do upgrad fuel pumps, which should i go with? I never plan on pushing more than 300hp/300tq into my car.
    Even if you where planning on leaving the car stock but replace the FP anyways.. I would prob spend the few extra dollars and put the Walbro 255 in there.. that way there is breathing room in case in the future you decide to mod...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Even if you where planning on leaving the car stock but replace the FP anyways.. I would prob spend the few extra dollars and put the Walbro 255 in there.. that way there is breathing room in case in the future you decide to mod...
    Werd. Walbro's can be had for about $100.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I heard if i get the 255 i have to get a regulator, but with the 190 i dont. And i heard that the regulator can be pricey.

Blobeye Syndicate #728

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.