02 wrx loud whine coming from tranny!!

This is a discussion on 02 wrx loud whine coming from tranny!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the other day i got in my car to drive away and there is now a loud whining noise sounding ...

02 wrx loud whine coming from tranny!!

the other day i got in my car to drive away and there is now a loud whining noise sounding very similar to the whine in reverse but louder and only in 1st gear! can anyone tell me about this?? plz its got me wondering if i should be driving it? and when i am decelerating it makes almost like a chattering or scraping noise????? im very concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? Does the vehicle shift into and out of every gear smoothly? It doesnt pop out of gear or anything does it? How does the clutch feel? Say your on the highway doing 60 mph in 5th gear and push the clutch in and throw it in neutral is the noise still there? When was the last time the trans gear oil was changed? You dont hear the noise at all sitting still right? How about if the clutch is engaged or disengaged?....How about if your cruising along at 60 mph in 5th and just let your foot off the gas not removing it from gear do you still hear it?

it has 75,000 miles on it. the tranny was just rebuilt at 73,000 and i had a new clutch put it. i feel nothin wrong with the clutch but when this started happening my clutch had slipped hard and smelt a burning smell. ever since it has made these noises? i only realy start hearing the chatter or scrape in 3 gr down. with the clutch engaged or disengaged. but the whining noise is only in first when clutch is disengaged and im moving if i stop no noises. the gears shift very smoothly. clutch feels great! dont understand just cant stand the sound of it?

Quote Originally Posted by t_wrx18 View Post
    it has 75,000 miles on it. the tranny was just rebuilt at 73,000 and i had a new clutch put it. i feel nothin wrong with the clutch but when this started happening my clutch had slipped hard and smelt a burning smell. ever since it has made these noises? i only realy start hearing the chatter or scrape in 3 gr down. with the clutch engaged or disengaged. but the whining noise is only in first when clutch is disengaged and im moving if i stop no noises. the gears shift very smoothly. clutch feels great! dont understand just cant stand the sound of it?
    I would definitely be bringing the vehicle/transmission back to the place that rebuilt it...They have to offer some sort of warranty...especially after only 2,000 miles....

alright well thank you anyway. i just dont wanna take it back and have him tell me i need to spend another 2gs to fix it i wanna find out what it is possibly first! the guy pretty much screwed a lot of things up when he rebuilt my tranny. didnt put very many things back together forgot gaskets didnt tighten down powersteering lines or tranny housing bolts, just kinda worried bout takin it back to them! by the way dont take your car to affordable autos/a+ transmission in portland, OR.! they will SCREW YOU!!!!!!!

alright well thank you anyway. i just dont wanna take it back and have him tell me i need to spend another 2gs to fix it i wanna find out what it is possibly first! the guy pretty much screwed a lot of things up when he rebuilt my tranny. didnt put very many things back together forgot gaskets didnt tighten down powersteering lines or tranny housing bolts, just kinda worried bout takin it back to them! by the way dont take your car to affordable autos/a+ transmission in portland, OR.! they will SCREW YOU!!!!!!!
    Yeah man thanks for the tip...Its seriously a shame there are shops out there like that.....Like I said If they don't honor some kind of warranty I would prob. take them to small claims court...

alright well thank you for your time neways. i might just take it back n see what he says???? ill just have to come in with my own tools n go over all his ****!!!!!!!!!

but if theres ne one that sees this thread n can give me ideas or nething that would be great!!!!!

alright well thank you for your time neways. i might just take it back n see what he says???? ill just have to come in with my own tools n go over all his ****!!!!!!!!!

but if theres ne one that sees this thread n can give me ideas or nething that would be great!!!!!
    HEY sorry to resurrect this thread, but wat ended up being the problem? I have the loud whining noise too but ONLY in FIRST GEAR with my foot DOWN(disengaged) on the clutch when im rolling. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!! THANKS!

i can't believe no one made a joke about the "loud whine coming from tranny" part of the title...
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"