Rod knock? Video included. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Rod knock? Video included. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Millennium Auto -Specializing in Subaru WRX STI sells motors, local in romeo too. May be a bit more but being ...

Millennium Auto -Specializing in Subaru WRX STI sells motors, local in romeo too. May be a bit more but being local, with shipping costs from someone else could balance it out. Tuner/mechanic is Speed Industry near somerset mall.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Totally forgot about that website. Thanks!
    Matt
    2003 Silver Pontiac Vibe (sold)
    1990 Red Miata on Megasquirt3, soon to be getting the stock turbo off the WRX
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)
    1986 Chevy K20, 350 4x4 on Megasquirt. Brings the car home when it breaks.

Future cars? Too many to list.

Interesting story today.

So I decided I was going to do some more diagnosis today. I fixed a slight coolant leak in the upper radiator hose where it meets the water neck on the engine first, spilling some coolant on the engine in the process. Well I got it fixed at started it up.

The knock was there, as expected, and the coolant that got on the engine began to steam up. After the engine completely warms up and I confirm the coolant leak was fixed, I began to listen for the noise.... but it was nowhere to be found. Nothing I could do could make the noise anymore. I drove the car around, and it drove just as good as ever with no odd noise or feel or anything. Got back in the driveway, and still no noise.

WTF?
    Matt
    2003 Silver Pontiac Vibe (sold)
    1990 Red Miata on Megasquirt3, soon to be getting the stock turbo off the WRX
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)
    1986 Chevy K20, 350 4x4 on Megasquirt. Brings the car home when it breaks.

Future cars? Too many to list.

Definitely sounded like weak rod knock. Belts/fans can sometimes disguise themselves pretty well, hopefully you just had some junk on a fan blade or something.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MWatson17 View Post
    Interesting story today.

So I decided I was going to do some more diagnosis today. I fixed a slight coolant leak in the upper radiator hose where it meets the water neck on the engine first, spilling some coolant on the engine in the process. Well I got it fixed at started it up.

The knock was there, as expected, and the coolant that got on the engine began to steam up. After the engine completely warms up and I confirm the coolant leak was fixed, I began to listen for the noise.... but it was nowhere to be found. Nothing I could do could make the noise anymore. I drove the car around, and it drove just as good as ever with no odd noise or feel or anything. Got back in the driveway, and still no noise.

WTF?
    Welcome to the world of Subaru. As my question about the tensioner may have indicated, I am highly skeptical that this motor has a problem. Granted, I haven't heard one actually go bad - however I have heard mine make similar startup sounds for over 60 k miles and our outback sounds worse for ~15 k ('98 bought used with new timing belt). My recommendation is to check the tensioner and then call it a day. Don't even pay attention when you hear it and certainly don't go buy a new motor unless it actually breaks. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this motor probably has tens of thousands of hard miles left in it.

My general sense is that noises like this heard when cold (up to 10 min.) or at low load are common in healthy subies.
    Last edited by mycologist; 02-22-2010 at 04:48 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

^^^Yup, I'm discovering this lately. Made the mistake of using a blend on my last change, the engine is much, much noisier than when I run full syn, and couple that with winter temps.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.