Mystery Noise On 09 WRX ... yes I said "mystery" ...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mystery Noise On 09 WRX ... yes I said "mystery" ... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; To start my 09 WRX GH has the rev hang issue that was resolved with a reflash for the recent ...

Mystery Noise On 09 WRX ... yes I said "mystery" ...

To start my 09 WRX GH has the rev hang issue that was resolved with a reflash for the recent forester xt and another impreza model. After creating the rev hang http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1643806 and recording a data stream that the tech submitted, there still is no word on this and the new Regional Service Rep knows of the issues with the other models and is looking into a possible reflash or how ever that turns out.
    Not sure if this has anything whatsoever to do with this new issue but I am going to give you every bit of information that I can.
    Started out faintly just under 3000rpm with this "raspy vibration sound" and over the course of a few weeks evolved to a very noticeable sound that I can create every try. Around that time kind of felt a slight power loss with the car as if the boost had weak spots here and there. I had an oil change a few weeks back when it first started. The tech said the oil was real broken down and low. There was no oil leaking anywhere. The problem continued after the oil change and It even started creeping up under harder boosts in second and could slightly hear it from time to time in first during a light launch. Work at a Subaru dealership and I had brought it up in Service a few times, went for a drive once with a tech and he noticed it right away. I could not get any noise while reving the car in neutral at all. But the tech took off the intercooler and there was oil in it and I was about a quart low again only about 2-3weeks since the last oil change. New turbo installed and old sent in to be checked out.
    Now the new turbo was put in at the end of the day and he let the oil fully drain overnight. Filled it up in the morning yesterday and went for a test drive. Sounded great! SOUND WAS GONE!!!! Boost was perfect again and felt like it did before this started. Went easy on it yesterday and no hard driving. But put it through a light duty today(nothing near rev limiter at all) still the sound was gone. Felt good all day and on my way home from work...... GOD DAMMIT there it was again!!!!!

Id like to say that the slight power loss is still gone and the weak spots through the boost were gone and the car still feels more powerful than it did with the turbo that was removed even now that the sound came back.

Here is the specific details of the situation that produces the sound...

-I can not rev the car in neutral and hear it at all?!?

-It will only happen 100% if you go WOT in 3rd and 4th gear at anywhere between 2800-3400 rpm For instance if I was in 3rd gear at 2800 rpms and put the gas pedal to the floor it will give this raspy little vibration on the right side of the block in the area of the intake, turbo, and down pipe. Yes you can hear the turbo spooling and this noise sounds like it is happening with the spool like it is in the turbo itself, kinda like a bad bearing or blades rubbing something metal.

-If im at 2800-3500 rpms and pump the pedal the noise will go "whah whah whah" as I pump the petal.

-Now that I know it cant be the turbo that is the type of noise Im talking about but it must be somewhere else. I dont think the new turbo would just make the noise that fast again in just a day and a half since it came on slowly the first time.

-Heres the funny thing... If Im in 3rd and cruising at 2000 to about 2600 and mash the throttle through the lag all the way to 5000rpms you wont hear it at all??? If Im boosting through 2nd 3rd and 4th not letting the needle go below 3500rpm you wont hear it at all??? If I start around 2600 it blips in for a sec and if I start at 3500 same thing.

Its so strange that I can just go right through the very bottom of 3rd straight to the top through the same range that makes the noise and its not there. But if you start in that zone "2800-3400" its there every time?

Thanks for any help with this.
    Who wants to be a hero here?!?!?!
    Last edited by l3E4VER; 05-12-2010 at 08:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've read books shorter than this post.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    I've read books shorter than this post.
    FYI once you leave the "special" kids classes they get much longer. haha JK, Trying to be as detailed as possible.

IS it happening all the way to redline? Are there any changes in the tone or speed of the sound with changes in RPM?

I say go to the dealer again and have them check it out again...

Intercooler maybe?

Or some kind of crazy leak at the waste gate?
    Last edited by Poohbear; 02-18-2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

No it goes away at 3400 rpm everytime. never lasts longer than that. And no, the tone does not change at all from start to finish 2800-3400rpm. But like I said if I put the pedal to the floor well below that spot it goes right through the zone with no noise at all. I am at the dealership and now looking into the intake area. I will bring up the intercooler and possibility of wastegate leasks. Any types of pressure test you would recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by l3E4VER View Post
    FYI once you leave the "special" kids classes they get much longer. haha JK, Trying to be as detailed as possible.
    If i had the time right now to read all this i would, cliff notes would help.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

i got the same thing

i got the same noise ????? what did you find out was it resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    If i had the time right now to read all this i would, cliff notes would help.
    X2
    '09 Sti

UPDATE...
    Not sure If I will find out exactly what went wrong but I'll see what happens when they take out the motor. Car started using oil. Lost 2 1/2 quarts in 1000 mi. Regional service rep said they are going to give me a new short block. See if there is any evidence of what caused all this when it gets torn out.

I Support ClubWRX

But the tech took off the intercooler and there was oil in it and I was about a quart low again only about 2-3weeks since the last oil change.
    Thats called "PCV blowby". If you tech didn't know what it was he is a moron. The PCV is re-routed back into the intake tract through the turbo inlet pipe right before the turbo compressor.

Thanks for any help with this.

Who wants to be a hero here?!?!?!
    My guess is detonation from wrong gas or something else. There are also these things called a compression test and leak down test. Apparently your mechanics have never heard of them....... Diagnosing a car over the interweb is not the most efficient way to handle this unfortunately.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

There are also these things called a compression test and leak down test. Apparently your mechanics have never heard of them....... Diagnosing a car over the interweb is not the most efficient way to handle this unfortunately.
    Was just about to get a compression test but the regional rep heard how much oil was consumed during my consumption test and ordered the short block. And yes it is not the best place to diagnose a problem just wanted to leave some info on a new model wrx that ran into trouble, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.