Electric Gremlin
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

This is a discussion on Electric Gremlin within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have search and have not found anything: Car: 2005 WRX 2.2 Hybrid Motor (been in a week) Cobb a/p ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23

    Electric Gremlin

    I have search and have not found anything:

    Car:
    2005 WRX
    2.2 Hybrid Motor (been in a week)
    Cobb a/p ii
    Voltage Grounding Kit
    Voltage Regulator
    Gauge Cluster
    Sub Kit (no longer hooked to the battery, sub not in car)
    Hella Horns
    New Alternator
    New Battery


    (Pulled from a different Forum where there is also an open tread)

    I just had a new motor put in the car so i am pretty certain it has nothing to do with the items installed in the bay. My amp wire has been disconnected and the only items going trough the firewall are my gauge lines and they are through the preexisting hole in the firewall right in behind the clutch (through the rubber grommet).

    The car has been running perfectly till today when i washed it. the issue came back. I did not have my A/P hooked up so I am Tot sure of the voltage- however the interior dash lights began to dim and when I would hit the brake the radio and mirror compass would shut off, when i would hit the high beams or the 4 ways it would flicker. To me this is a definite voltage issue.

    When I pulled into my spot and shut the car off and tried to restart- it just went black and everything cleared itself. (radio, odometer) I have gone though all the fuses to make sure they are all the correct and disconnected everything that was zip tied to the underside of the dash. I had one a little tight around the fuse harness. I do not think this is the problem as I moved the harness and nothing happened.

    However I did find something interesting and I am not sure what it is. Under the dash there is a wire bundle just above the brake pedal. When I moved this harness all the lights came back on and the car started right up. Thus I have a feeling this is where my problem lies. (It was resting on the brake pedal arm) This would make sense for there to be a problem when the brake is depressed.

    The problem is I do not have a clue as to what the harness is for. It is hard to describe as there are about 20 harness under there, but this a white harness located just to the right of the brake up against the plastic surround for the dash. It appears to be right to the right next of the OBD2 port.

    Does anyone know what this harness is for? I know this is not the primary issue since it only happens with the car has been washed or driven in the rain, but if I can backtrack it from there then maybe there is hope.

    I have checked all the light connections and they are intact and there is no moisture inside any of my light housing..

    Have tested the battery and the alternator and they are both at 12V.


    Thank you in advance.
    __________________

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Pictures are worth a thousand words here...

    Are you located in the U.S.? The only thing I can kind of think of up around there (to the right of the brake pedal) is the BIU..I have seen these cause some very very very odd problems before..So is this the closed deck EJ22 with EJ20 Heads? Also..there are two super multiple junction plugs right between the battery and the washer bottle on the drivers side that jump the gap over to the intake manifold (assuming this is a USDM car)...They make the pin outs so small in these..I have gotten WRX's and STI's with no start conditions and again some seriously odd problems because the pins back out of the terminals of these connectors...and its one of the last places "joe at the local garage" decides to look....
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 02-17-2010 at 03:42 AM.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Pictures are worth a thousand words here...

    Are you located in the U.S.? The only thing I can kind of think of up around there (to the right of the brake pedal) is the BIU..I have seen these cause some very very very odd problems before..So is this the closed deck EJ22 with EJ20 Heads? Also..there are two super multiple junction plugs right between the battery and the washer bottle on the drivers side that jump the gap over to the intake manifold (assuming this is a USDM car)...They make the pin outs so small in these..I have gotten WRX's and STI's with no start conditions and again some seriously odd problems because the pins back out of the terminals of these connectors...and its one of the last places "joe at the local garage" decides to look....
    I am located in the US. I am the only owner of the car.

    BIU?

    I am not sure of what you mean by closed deck (sorry) but it is an ej20 block with ej20 heads. The variation is stroke of the pistons, we did not change the bore. So everything was plug and play.

    I will have to take a look at the pins..

    Thank you

  5. #4
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby-do View Post
    I am located in the US. I am the only owner of the car.

    BIU?

    I am not sure of what you mean by closed deck (sorry) but it is an ej20 block with ej20 heads. The variation is stroke of the pistons, we did not change the bore. So everything was plug and play.

    I will have to take a look at the pins..

    Thank you
    BIU ( Body integrated Unit)...Its on the CAN (controller area network) so it communicates with the ECM, TCM ( if equipped) and other computers in the vehicle....Bad BIU's as I have seen can cause some very erroneous problems... Closed deck refers to the top or in subarus case the side of the deck of the block...

    If the entire area around the cylinder bore is attached to the block ( with the exception of the coolant/oil passages its a closed deck compared to a semi closed or open deck with basically just the cylinder sleeve and possibly a couple connecting points (EJ20's are semi-closed deck) however none of this applies here..lol

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    BIU ( Body integrated Unit)...Its on the CAN (controller area network) so it communicates with the ECM, TCM ( if equipped) and other computers in the vehicle....Bad BIU's as I have seen can cause some very erroneous problems... Closed deck refers to the top or in subarus case the side of the deck of the block...

    If the entire area around the cylinder bore is attached to the block ( with the exception of the coolant/oil passages its a closed deck compared to a semi closed or open deck with basically just the cylinder sleeve and possibly a couple connecting points (EJ20's are semi-closed deck) however none of this applies here..lol
    Thank you.. I will look into things.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1
    Hi guys, Thanks for your updates. I too looking for the same but not yet to find,,,,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •