Valve Clearances Help

This is a discussion on Valve Clearances Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 03 WRX wagon with 111k on it now. I know one (or more) of the valves on ...

Valve Clearances Help

I have an 03 WRX wagon with 111k on it now. I know one (or more) of the valves on the driver bank is out of spec and causing noise. I have the repair manual for the car but it isn't exactly super useful for this car. Kind of leaves things up to you to figure out.

My question is, when I take off the valve covers and measure the play, is there anyway of me telling what size shim or bucket is currently installed in the motor?

IE, I have to replace my valve cover gaskets anyways so I wanted to measure the current spec. With this information I was hoping I could order replacement shims/buckets to have on hand to replace to limit down time. I can't figure out what size shims/buckets are needed though unless I know what is currently in there right?

More importantly, I have conflicting information. Some say you can do all this in car, others say just pull the motor and save yourself the hassle.

Is it truly easier to pull the motor from this car just to check valves and replace shims where needed? This is my daily driver so if I did take the motor out it would need to go back in the next day or that day. I'm not new to pulling motors or working on cars, but I have not worked on the boxer motor till this car previously. I've already done timing belt on it and uppipe, and plugs. So I know my way around it a little bit.

Would it be better to pull the motor to do this?
    Is there anyway to find out what size shim/bucket I have in my car currently without removing the cams?

Thanks,
    -Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump. Anybody pulled a motor on a bugeye?

I Support ClubWRX
    The factory manual, from memory, does not mention pulling the motor, just removing the rocker covers after pulling the battery and water bottle on one side, and the intake funnel on the other. The shims are measured once everything's apart and there's a page of shim part numbers given -- I don't even know if those part numbers are still valid. Never done this on my car though, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, I finally found an actual FSM for 02 WRX. Seems it's pretty easy to measure the play with the motor in the car, but to replace shims they require special tool. It runs about 250 bucks lol.

So I can easily measure and find out which one is out of spec and by how much, but I can't order any replacement shims until I can pull the old one out and measure it. Not quite sure how I'm going to go about doing this. Might have to pull the cams.

-Ed