Some General Questions on a 02 wrx

This is a discussion on Some General Questions on a 02 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, my fiance owns a 02 wrx. Myself Ive always ran Mobil 1 5w30 in my old boosted 2.2 cobalt ...

Some General Questions on a 02 wrx

Well, my fiance owns a 02 wrx. Myself Ive always ran Mobil 1 5w30 in my old boosted 2.2 cobalt and my new SS cobalt. My 2.2 had 80k when i traded it in and never once had a problem. What type of oil is recommended in a 02 wrx with 122,000 Miles on it? Should i use some mobil 1 or just use some high mileage oil? Car is a DD and rarely sees anything above 4-5k and its an auto. Also Ive been getting 200 miles per tank of gas and just now noticed its just like my SS and requires premium only..because i ran 87 in a tank could that cause my horrible mpg? or is 200 the norm for these cars? Sorry for the nub questions, im slowing learning the subaru ways here haha
    2009 White Cobalt SS Coupe Turbocharged
    1 of 118 White Cobalt SS Turbo Coupes Ever Produced!
    Dyno: 293WHP 334WTQ SMG HPTuned!

GF's Car - 2002 Subaru WRX (Stock..for now)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MkUlrey13 View Post
    What type of oil is recommended in a 02 wrx with 122,000 Miles on it?
    For viscosity and grade see the owner's manual but in general you need an API SL or better. For type, well whatever's been run for the past 122000 miles ought to do just fine.

Also Ive been getting 200 miles per tank of gas and just now noticed its just like my SS and requires premium only..because i ran 87 in a tank could that cause my horrible mpg? or is 200 the norm for these cars?
    I've gotten up to twice that on my 5spd. Do not use any fuel of lower octane than the required 91.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    For viscosity and grade see the owner's manual but in general you need an API SL or better. For type, well whatever's been run for the past 122000 miles ought to do just fine.

A female middle age women owned this car so i can only assume middle grade oil was used. Ill stick to some good 75k + oil. I assume 5w30 is recommended?

I've gotten up to twice that on my 5spd. Do not use any fuel of lower octane than the required 91.
    I know this now. I only ran 1 tank of 87. Car seems much better with 93 in there.
    2009 White Cobalt SS Coupe Turbocharged
    1 of 118 White Cobalt SS Turbo Coupes Ever Produced!
    Dyno: 293WHP 334WTQ SMG HPTuned!

GF's Car - 2002 Subaru WRX (Stock..for now)