need help no heat!

This is a discussion on need help no heat! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; when i drive the car, it won't warm up, and when it does the temp hand goes back down below ...

need help no heat!

when i drive the car, it won't warm up, and when it does the temp hand goes back down below cold. i figured it was the thermostat, but figured id make sure. how would i replace it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

come on guys

its too cold to not have heat!

could be a bad radiator cap as well. Easier then the thermostat.

Here's a link for the thermostat..

https://www.grimmspeed.com/install_g...tat_subaru.pdf

I dont think you will need one for the cap
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

sometimes it will warm up, but won't stay warm for long. and it's like 20degrees!

Quote Originally Posted by J_hurd42 View Post
    sometimes it will warm up, but won't stay warm for long. and it's like 20degrees!
    First..make sure the surge tank and radiator are full of coolant...Have you had any recent cooling system work done? How many miles are on the vehicle? When it comes to cooling problems I was taught years and years ago that as a rule of thumb you start off with the cheapest componant and work your way up because obviously cooling system problems can get expensive quick ( Blown HG, Warped head etc etc...) Of course this also all depends on the symptom... If I had to take a shot from the hip from the information you have given I would personally say if the cooling system is full and you are 100% sure there is no air in the system, A new thermostat would be in order..however this could also be a clogged heater core or something FWIW Ive never seen a clogged heater core in a subaru out of the thousands Ive worked on compared to the somewhat common thermostat sticking...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    First..make sure the surge tank and radiator are full of coolant...Have you had any recent cooling system work done? How many miles are on the vehicle? When it comes to cooling problems I was taught years and years ago that as a rule of thumb you start off with the cheapest componant and work your way up because obviously cooling system problems can get expensive quick ( Blown HG, Warped head etc etc...) Of course this also all depends on the symptom... If I had to take a shot from the hip from the information you have given I would personally say if the cooling system is full and you are 100% sure there is no air in the system, A new thermostat would be in order..however this could also be a clogged heater core or something FWIW Ive never seen a clogged heater core in a subaru out of the thousands Ive worked on compared to the somewhat common thermostat sticking...
    Be sure to "burp" the system while filling if that's the case.
    I had a leak from my junk stock plastic radiator and got a bunch of practice burping, usually just giving the top fat hose a few soft squeezes while filling....
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here