AC compressor problem or problem with AC coolant system!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AC compressor problem or problem with AC coolant system!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I learned something new today: evidently Defrost does more than just blow warm air onto the windshield, but also ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

AC compressor problem or problem with AC coolant system!!

Well, I learned something new today: evidently Defrost does more than just blow warm air onto the windshield, but also runs the AC compressor (presumably to remove moisture from the air). It started a few days ago when I noticed a fluttering/scraping sound occasionally when driving. I opened my hood to find that when the AC compressor is engaged (yes, it is winter here, but the defrost was enabled) the accessory belt was slipping on the main pulley. I imagine it won't be long before the main pulley eats through my accessory belt if I use the AC compressor. I tried rotating the AC compressor by hand and noticed at first (if the car had been off for a few minutes) the compressor rotated freely and easily. If I turned the AC (or defrost) on for a few minutes and tried again the compressor was extremely difficult to rotate by hand. This leads me to two conclusions: 1.) the AC compressor is broken or 2.) there is something jammed in the AC coolant path (kinked tube or something of that sort) that causes tremendous backpressure when operating. Has anyone encountered anything like this before?? The AC compressor is a stock 03 WRX unit (calsonic kansei 73111 FE021). For the time being, I have removed the power cable for the magnetic clutch (the compressor will not engage without this). Thoughts?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You have not described abnormal behaviour IMO.

Replace the belt (well, consider doing both belts while everything's apart) with authentic Subaru units and see what happens. It's a $40 gamble (notice I'm gambling with your time and money... sorry!) but my bet is a new belt will work fine and the noise will go away -- provided you use an authentic replacement. Just a suggestion.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I would be inclined to agree with you if it were just a small amount of slippage and a noise issue. However, if I rev my engine to 3000+ RPM, the compressor wheel still does not spin and white smoke comes up from main pulley where the accessory belt is slipping against the main pulley. I am not concerned about the noise, but the compressor seems jammed up.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    One reason such a new compressor might conceivably seize is if it were run with very low oil. You'd need a massive leak. I can't think of another reason for the compressor to seize, but that's not to say it's impossible -- I would prefer to think it's unlikely though since the car is relatively young. You're going to need a new belt either way. One approach might be to replace the belt with the correct part of course and turn the A/C on for just a moment to see if you're right. If you are, shut it all down.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Yeah the car is at 74000 miles. I will probably have to replace all my belts in a short while. It's worth a shot. I'm going to keep the magnetic clutch for the AC compressor disengaged until the summer at the very least.

Facebook me here

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Patryk View Post
    id rip it out save on weight i dont use my a/c lol
    evidently if you use Defrost you do use your AC compressor who woulda thunk? lol

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    It is IMO pointless to remove the A/C system to save weight, but in any case I'm betting you'll be OK with just a belt.

i have the same problem with my A/C compressor too! i have no idea what is wrong with it so i am taking it in to the subaru Shop this week and i will let you know what they say! i Refill the coolant but that was not the case, if i am driving then it is okay but if i stop the car seems to spudder alot!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevang10 View Post
    i have the same problem with my A/C compressor too! i have no idea what is wrong with it so i am taking it in to the subaru Shop this week and i will let you know what they say! i Refill the coolant but that was not the case, if i am driving then it is okay but if i stop the car seems to spudder alot!
    Please do! What year is your Soob? Also, just out of curiosity, did you stick some sort of aftermarket intake in your car?

Facebook me here

I have a 02 WRX wagon! no my car is stock i just got the car 4 months ago and its to cold here in MN to do anything right now!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sometimes you can get away with just replacing the a/c compressor clutch if they are a serviceable item. Most japanese cars are replace as assembly however.

Yes the A/C is used to help remove humidity while defrost is on.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    One reason such a new compressor might conceivably seize is if it were run with very low oil. You'd need a massive leak. I can't think of another reason for the compressor to seize, but that's not to say it's impossible -- I would prefer to think it's unlikely though since the car is relatively young. You're going to need a new belt either way. One approach might be to replace the belt with the correct part of course and turn the A/C on for just a moment to see if you're right. If you are, shut it all down.
    I think you may be correct about the belt. I have to start thinking about a solution soon since summer is on it's way. This afternoon, while I was de-rusting my underbody and doing general service work, I noticed that my AC accessory belt is little on the low-tension side. I attempted to tighten the lower belt tensioner, but the bolt (holding the tensioner pulley) is rusted and stripped when I attempted to loosen. Likely I am going to have to take the car to the shop and get the bolt tapped and drilled since I do not own the tools necessary to remove a rusted bolt.

I am a little concerned, however, because the belt does not slip on the pulley unless the AC compressor is activated.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    I would only expect it to slip when the compressor is activated. Consider what a compressor is doing, and that it uses a clutch to engage.

The bolt is unfortunate but not uncommon.

My guess is you should be in better shape with a replacement belt (prefer authentic IMO; some aftermarket belts tend to squeal and slip etc., and an authentic Subaru belt is not much $). While you are in there you might do both belts, BTW -- that is what I did -- or just have the shop slap two new belts on while they have the car etc.

Now, if you find that the compressor is seized after all, or that a pulley is seized, then you'll have to swap that item -- but you needed the belt to begin with so you've not lost much.

EDIT: I began thinking about your original thought about a kink or obstruction in the line. If the system has not been opened, and if no changes have been made to line routing (do you have a strut bar in the front?), I don't see how that could happen, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Normally I'd say hook up gauges and see if you still suspect an obstruction but the compressor isn't working at this point to begin with so that'd be useless I think - right? IDK about that now. Hm...
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-21-2010 at 12:59 AM.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    EDIT: I began thinking about your original thought about a kink or obstruction in the line. If the system has not been opened, and if no changes have been made to line routing (do you have a strut bar in the front?)
    I do have a front strut bar. However, I made sure that all AC coolant lines were not stressed upon installation. Besides, I have used the AC in the past with the front strut bar installed.

Facebook me here

zax
    it's confirmed: the compressor is seizing. We're not quire sure why yet. A few of my work colleagues are ex-mechanics and took a look. The belts will probably need replacement soon, but they are sure that the AC compressor is also seizing when the clutch engages. Evidently, there are low-pressure and high-pressure switches that, when tripped (if refrigerant pressure is too low or too high) will not allow the magnetic clutch to engage the compressor wheel. So apparently it is not a problem with the refrigerant pressure. I will update this thread once I learn more.

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast