***How to Ask a Technical Question!**
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ***How to Ask a Technical Question!** within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I made this thread to help members not familiar with cars or "mechanically challenged" present their automotive dilemma in a ...

I Support ClubWRX

Arrow ***How to Ask a Technical Question!**

I made this thread to help members not familiar with cars or "mechanically challenged" present their automotive dilemma in a clear and concise manner. By doing so it greatly increases the odds of diagnosing the problem more efficiently and keeps the more experienced residents here from just flat out ignoring your posts or doing the back and forth banter dance of having to extract information from you (aka: "pulling teeth"). If it requires work just to get to explain your problem ,how much work is it going to require to help you actually fix it? See where I'm going? Help us help you. It's all in the details peeps!

Provide as much info as you can in you posts
    *All performance mods (80-90% of the problems are due to improper modding/mods)
    *octane of gasoline being used
    *Year/model of vehicle/miles on vehicle
    *When the problem started (when I changed a part vs out of the blue)
    *If you have tried to fix the problem list what you have done
    *If you have the ability to datalog definately run a log.

If your car has a CEL(check engine light) that means you have a DTC (diagnostic trouble code).
    Before we can even help you get the code read. It makes no sense to ask why you have a CEL or to post that you have one and not post what the code is. We cannot read the code for you,so get it read. Most Autozones will do it for free. FYI- if you get the code read 95% of the time you can find how to fix the problem by merely searching by using the code number. Also the F.A.Q.'s /Stickies will contain general information about mods that cause CEL/DTC and some of the fixes.

Use complete sentences and grammar!
    If we can't understand what your even saying or think your speaking a different language when your not, how fast do you think you problem is going to be solved? Please re-read what you have wrote. If it doesn't make sense to you it most definitely won't make sense to us!

Be specific with your question!

"My car is acting up,whats wrong?" Uhhhh.....okay.

There are a TON of people on here that are very knowledgeable on these particular cars and all their little quirks. The more data and details you can provide using the correct (or close ) terminology the better the "picture" will be painted. So please use these guidelines to help us help you!
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-07-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i believe the title should say "ask" not "as"

i'd say we should make this a sticky... but people dont read stickies anyway sooo yeah.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i believe the title should say "ask" not "as"

i'd say we should make this a sticky... but people dont read stickies anyway sooo yeah.

+1..Sticky... Good Idea Donkey...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    How to ass a technical question?

I would also like to add that people need to be specific with their questions. I've read a lot of threads that literally read as "I'm getting coilovers and have 18" wheels, will they fit ok? ".
    Last edited by brfatal; 02-14-2010 at 04:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Whoops! Not sure where my "k" went! But unfortunately I can't edit my thread title. True people don't read the Stickies much but at least instead of having to constantly post the same answer over and over you can just link a thread.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Whoops! Not sure where my "k" went! But unfortunately I can't edit my thread title. True people don't read the Stickies much but at least instead of having to constantly post the same answer over and over you can just link a thread.
    Admin can
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    ***how to as a technical question**
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well stated, and that Orson Wells gif never gets old .

It's unbelievably difficult to help people who don't offer specific details on their vehicles. Just describing a sound or smell isn't enough. Details are what will get your answer faster. We can give generic answers that MAY help, but to narrow down the issue at large we have to know as many details as possible.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Admin can
    Actually all mods can in their respective forums as well. The work around would be to move the thread to your forum change it and then move it back.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Actually all mods can in their respective forums as well. The work around would be to move the thread to your forum change it and then move it back.
    Ahh....sneaky sneaky.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I can't wait for the day when I will understand what you all are talking about. I plan on being here for a long time.

knock knock valve train noise.

I'm a vw trained tech working at mazda now so i have some boxer experience but.....i bought this 2002 wrx it looks like the short block has been replace not so long ago (mexican chrome all over the block0 and its as dry as a popcorn fart. mil light comes on with a code for camshaft position sensor so i back probe it continuity good wires all good to pcm i figure its got 200000 km i but a new cam sensor pull the cover off check the belt looks ok put it back together and clear the code. its good for a couple of days and then the light comes back on and while the wife is driving it starts making this ticking/ knocking noise.i pull the covers off and check the t belt timing and find its out a tooth on the drivers side intake cam. I replace all the idlers,pulleys,tensioner and water pump and belt,recheck timing 3 times its spot on.fire it up and still tick/knock........warm or cold...my question is how is the valve adjustment to set up and is it prone to noise and failure particularly on the drivers side head.just want to know if its worth investigating and repairing or should i just replace with 2.5l turbo engine?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdatech75 View Post
    I'm a vw trained tech working at mazda now so i have some boxer experience but.....i bought this 2002 wrx it looks like the short block has been replace not so long ago (mexican chrome all over the block0 and its as dry as a popcorn fart. mil light comes on with a code for camshaft position sensor so i back probe it continuity good wires all good to pcm i figure its got 200000 km i but a new cam sensor pull the cover off check the belt looks ok put it back together and clear the code. its good for a couple of days and then the light comes back on and while the wife is driving it starts making this ticking/ knocking noise.i pull the covers off and check the t belt timing and find its out a tooth on the drivers side intake cam. I replace all the idlers,pulleys,tensioner and water pump and belt,recheck timing 3 times its spot on.fire it up and still tick/knock........warm or cold...my question is how is the valve adjustment to set up and is it prone to noise and failure particularly on the drivers side head.just want to know if its worth investigating and repairing or should i just replace with 2.5l turbo engine?
    Ok...........this was a sticky on "how to ask a technical question",not "post your technical questions here". The boxer motors are known for noise and the valve adjustment is done by shims. It is a spring and bucket assembley.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I would also ease up on the "Mexican chrome" style comments. It was noted in our moderator forums for being pretty close to the line for racism.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

air bag light

Well my air bag light came on around 55000 K miles, and it comes on during the first start up and turns off once you turn the car off. I called the dealership and it is going to cost me 90$ just for them to tell me what is wrong. Should I even worry about this light? It is more of a pain in the ass, then anything. If I need to fix it, what do I do?

Nofxman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.