help for novice with fuel problem-diagnose cause?

This is a discussion on help for novice with fuel problem-diagnose cause? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry, I'm a complete novice but my car started making odd whining noise, then intermittently kept losing power like poor ...

help for novice with fuel problem-diagnose cause?

Sorry, I'm a complete novice but my car started making odd whining noise, then intermittently kept losing power like poor fuel flow then stopped and is not getting fuel at all. Over period of hour or two. Won't start. Puddle of thin fluid under car, not oil or fuel. Possibly from air-con. Left overnight, not sure now. Any ideas what it might be and how I can check? Has had recent 100000 sevice and running well til now.
    Its quite old, 1999. 1st time its ever had a problem. No loss of oil or fluid I can see looking under bonnet. Turning over, no firing, no fuel smell.
    Yvonne

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Start by changing the fuel filter. If you change that out and still no go, remove a line from the fuel filter and place into a bucket to catch the fuel, crank the engine to see if fuel is flowing.

If not, check back with us.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

fixed it- replaced fuel pump using forum instructions-great fun!