Best place to buy OEM boost control solenoid?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Best place to buy OEM boost control solenoid? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi - I have a stock 2002 WRX. This is the first winter in 8 years that I ever encountered ...

Best place to buy OEM boost control solenoid?

Hi - I have a stock 2002 WRX. This is the first winter in 8 years that I ever encountered check engine code "P0244 *Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input)". It happened on at least 4 separate occasions at 3500-3600 RPM in 4th or 5th gear > 60% WOT. The engine is 100% stock.

I'm assuming the boost control solenoid is bad. I don't want to mess around with tuning. I'd prefer at this point to stick with OEM part replacement unless there's an equivalent aftermarket option that requires absolutely NO TUNING.

In Ottawa Canada, my local dealership quoted me $264 CAD for the boost solenoid. Is there a better OEM price in North America? After searching for several hours, I can't find this part online. As a reference, Grimspeed's is about $100 - $110 USD.

Could anybody please point me to a source for this part?

Thanks.

Dave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
    Hi - I have a stock 2002 WRX. This is the first winter in 8 years that I ever encountered check engine code "P0244 *Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input)". It happened on at least 4 separate occasions at 3500-3600 RPM in 4th or 5th gear > 60% WOT. The engine is 100% stock.

I'm assuming the boost control solenoid is bad. I don't want to mess around with tuning. I'd prefer at this point to stick with OEM part replacement unless there's an equivalent aftermarket option that requires absolutely NO TUNING.

In Ottawa Canada, my local dealership quoted me $264 CAD for the boost solenoid. Is there a better OEM price in North America? After searching for several hours, I can't find this part online. As a reference, Grimspeed's is about $100 - $110 USD.

Could anybody please point me to a source for this part?

Thanks.

Dave.
    Before you go spending money on a WG solenoid I would just double check all vacuum lines for proper connection/damage plus all intake and boost tubes...Also If you plug in the green diag. connectors and the turn the key on engine off the WG solenoid should activate and you should hear a clicking sound from it...I would try this also before purchasing a new solenoid......check out this place for parts..never purchased anything from them but I have heard good things about there customer service and prices... http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/

I just returned from a long weekend trip where i gently drove my car. Check engine light tripped again between 4th and 5th gear at fairly low throttle around 3500 RPM. So it's a consistent issue under a variety of temperatures.

Thanks very much for suggestions. You're right. Best check hoses first before a new solenoid. I'll inspect hoses tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion to test WG solenoid for engagement. I think the solenoid still partially works. I can hear air whooshing at <3000 RPM in all other gears as the turbo spools up. The turbo whistles happily without overloading into oblivion when I accelerate harder in 2nd and 3rd gears. What should i look for in the case of partial functionality should all hoses be OK?

Thanks for the great troubleshooting tips.

Dave.

I would also check for a boost leak...Its a stretch that an actual boost leak would throw a P0244 however if your hearing a "wooshing" sound around the full load of the turbo/engine around 4k in 4th gear this is one thing I would prob check first... perhaps a clamp came loose or a hose cracked...keep in mind its difficult to diag. these kind of problems over the internet fore we cannot touch/hear the vehicle..
    of course the FSM isnt really any help without telling you to just replace the solenoid..lol

1 CHECK ANY OTHER DTC ON DISPLAY.
    Check YES
    Does the Subaru Select Moni- Inspect DTC
    tor or OBD-II general scan tool PO245 or PO246
    indicate DTC PO245 or P0246? using “List of Diagnostic
    Trouble
    Code (DTC)”.
    <Ref. to EN(D0HC
    TURBO)-80, List
    of Diagnostic Trouble
    Code (DTC).>
    NOTE:
    In this case, it is
    not necessary tc
    inspect DTC
    P0244.
    NO
    Replace the
    wastegate control
    solenoid valve.
    <Ref. to FU(D0HC
    Wastegate Control
    Solenoid
    Valve.>
    TURBO)-41,
    EN(D0HC
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 02-16-2010 at 03:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.