Weird Noise when taking off

This is a discussion on Weird Noise when taking off within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got a brand new 2010 Wrx last month. It has 1,700 miles on it now. After driving for 5 ...

Weird Noise when taking off

Just got a brand new 2010 Wrx last month. It has 1,700 miles on it now. After driving for 5 minutes tonight, I parked my car for half minute and planed to leave. When I shifted into 1st gear and release the clutch slowly, I heard a big noise came out from the car and it's like grinding. The noise disappeared after ran for about 15 seconds. This happened several times. It seems this will only happen at low speed(also backward) and won't last for more than half minute. Does any have the same problem with me? or does anyone know what causes that problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by B10WRX View Post
    Just got a brand new 2010 Wrx last month. It has 1,700 miles on it now. After driving for 5 minutes tonight, I parked my car for half minute and planed to leave. When I shifted into 1st gear and release the clutch slowly, I heard a big noise came out from the car and it's like grinding. The noise disappeared after ran for about 15 seconds. This happened several times. It seems this will only happen at low speed(also backward) and won't last for more than half minute. Does any have the same problem with me? or does anyone know what causes that problem?
    I would bring it back to the dealer if your trulyn concerned...Warranty...
    Where are you located? Are you sure its not just ice or something making some noise rammed up somewhere in the fender well or something?...

I Support ClubWRX
    To me it sounds like the hill assist may not be disengaging properly.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I would bring it back to the dealer if your trulyn concerned...Warranty...
    Where are you located? Are you sure its not just ice or something making some noise rammed up somewhere in the fender well or something?...
    I in Reno, NV. It not that kind of noise. That's just like metals are scratching each other. Horrible Noise! But it does not happen often, like once a week. I am thinking about waiting for it to happen the next time to see where the noise come out from and then bring it back to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by azWRX06 View Post
    To me it sounds like the hill assist may not be disengaging properly.
    I thought about that too. Should I turn off the hiss assist for a while and see if it happens under the circumstance without the hill assist on?

Quote Originally Posted by B10WRX View Post
    I thought about that too. Should I turn off the hiss assist for a while and see if it happens under the circumstance without the hill assist on?

Im assuming your mentioning the hill holder system...Is there a way to just turn it off....I didnt think this was possible....Unless you go into the Selectmonitor or something???...Personally I work for Subaru and have never seen a way to disable the hill holder system short of disconnecting the cable on the older models...

I Support ClubWRX
    The hill assist is controlled by the VDC. I do not think disabling the traction control will completely disable it.

There is a ball...

"The Hill-Holder System operates within the braking system of the vehicle. As you travel on a flat road or a downhill grade, a ball remains at the front of the system’s Pressure Hold Valve, and the valve remains open. When you stop on an uphill grade and depress both the clutch and brake pedals, the ball rolls to the rear of the Pressure Hold Valve, sealing the opening. The closed valve maintains hydraulic braking pressure even after the brake pedal is released."

There are 3 settings to the VDC though. Press once the light should turn yellow, and disable traction and stability control. Press and hold for 2 seconds and it should turn green which is the performance setting, torque reduction is turned off and stability control is lessened.

Add me to Facebook

did you put the ebrake down lol?

Quote Originally Posted by azWRX06 View Post
    The hill assist is controlled by the VDC. I do not think disabling the traction control will completely disable it.

There is a ball...

"The Hill-Holder System operates within the braking system of the vehicle. As you travel on a flat road or a downhill grade, a ball remains at the front of the systemís Pressure Hold Valve, and the valve remains open. When you stop on an uphill grade and depress both the clutch and brake pedals, the ball rolls to the rear of the Pressure Hold Valve, sealing the opening. The closed valve maintains hydraulic braking pressure even after the brake pedal is released."

There are 3 settings to the VDC though. Press once the light should turn yellow, and disable traction and stability control. Press and hold for 2 seconds and it should turn green which is the performance setting, torque reduction is turned off and stability control is lessened.
    Ok yea thanks man I knew there was no way to 100 percent disable the hill holder...on the newer subies at least...

Quote Originally Posted by 2w0r0x9 View Post
    did you put the ebrake down lol?
    Sure. If i did not. I couldn't take off cause it's manual shift.

I Support ClubWRX

Correction/Update

Correction - The STI had the performance mode VDC, the rex only has on/off.

Plus just tested it on the drive home, hill holder still works without VDC enabled. Looks like it is mechanical after all.

Add me to Facebook

Heat shield?