Couple of Timing Belt questions

This is a discussion on Couple of Timing Belt questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, so first off how long should a timing belt last? I have a 03 wrx with 89000 miles ...

Couple of Timing Belt questions

Hello everyone, so first off how long should a timing belt last? I have a 03 wrx with 89000 miles on it and recently when in the shop for leaky fuel rail issue they said hearing squeak and it could be a possible adjuster and timing belt.

Second question: what manufacturer would you recommend for the belt/ kit?

Third question: How difficult is the job? seen some threads on it and seems descent enough to get to, yet I am just a little worried that I will not have it in correct timing.

Thank you .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jstreet View Post
    Hello everyone, so first off how long should a timing belt last? I have a 03 wrx with 89000 miles on it and recently when in the shop for leaky fuel rail issue they said hearing squeak and it could be a possible adjuster and timing belt.

Third question: How difficult is the job? seen some threads on it and seems descent enough to get to, yet I am just a little worried that I will not have it in correct timing.

Thank you .
    The search function on here is your friend..lol...that being said ...Subaru recommends the timing belt be replaced at 105,000 miles...On customers cars I usually recommend any idlers that are bad once i get in there....Its somewhat rare that Subaru has a t-belt idler pulley failure so not all of them get replaced if the feel/sound ok....However on my personal Subarus When i do the t-belt i replace all idlers, belt, tensioner, water pump, and crank and cam seals....take a peek here....the job isnt terribly difficult however you should have some mechanical apptitude to attempt replacement....if not...well things could get costly pretty quick.... http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf

thank you I have been searching but I thought I would ask my specific questions. awesome link.

Buy the standard Subaru replacement belt from an authorized Subaru dealer. Not the STI belt. The STI branded belt and other aftermarket belts typically recommend replacement after about 60,000 miles.

thank you I have been searching but I thought I would ask my specific questions. awesome link.
    No prob. man...Any other Q's ask away..after all thats what the forums for...