Exhaust Leaking Fluid?

This is a discussion on Exhaust Leaking Fluid? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So while I was shoveling 2+ feet of snow today, I uncovered the rex and got it down the driveway ...

Exhaust Leaking Fluid?

So while I was shoveling 2+ feet of snow today, I uncovered the rex and got it down the driveway somewhat and what I saw really left me puzzled/worried. My exhaust was leaking a yellow fluid (almost the color when a dog pees in the snow). It left a nice puddle in the snow and after I moved the car and looked underneath, I could see this fluid dripping directly from the exhaust pipe up before the rear axle. Anyone ever see this before or have any clue what it may be? I would have taken a few pics but the camera was inside and I wasnt taking off all my snow gear to run in and get it. I was recently told I have a coolant leak but I dont think coolant would be that far back.
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby3 View Post
    So while I was shoveling 2+ feet of snow today, I uncovered the rex and got it down the driveway somewhat and what I saw really left me puzzled/worried. My exhaust was leaking a yellow fluid (almost the color when a dog pees in the snow). It left a nice puddle in the snow and after I moved the car and looked underneath, I could see this fluid dripping directly from the exhaust pipe up before the rear axle. Anyone ever see this before or have any clue what it may be? I would have taken a few pics but the camera was inside and I wasnt taking off all my snow gear to run in and get it. I was recently told I have a coolant leak but I dont think coolant would be that far back.
    Was a hell of a storm wasnt it man....Hmmm "yellowish" fluid from back by the rear axle...Im going to take a shot from the hip and say its gear oil perhaps from the rear diff...Did you smell it/feel it?

Probably just condensation... I dont know why it would be yellow (to much bud light maybe?)... You say its coming directly out of the exhaust; im guessing you mean from the tail pipe...

I cant really think of anything that would cause the condensation to be yellow but your fine.. really sounds normal.. Usually the condensation would be a little black from carbon build up...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

the fluid was dripping off the tail pipe right where it bends up, by the rear diff. i didnt touch it and i got pretty close for a sniff but didnt smell anything weird. it could have been leaking from somewhere else and onto the tail pipe which gave the appearance it was the tail pipe itself leaking. im going to keep an eye on it over the next few days
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123