Car Not Starting, Running Out Of Ideas.

This is a discussion on Car Not Starting, Running Out Of Ideas. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, first post here, I hope you all can help. A couple days ago i went to start my ...

Car Not Starting, Running Out Of Ideas.

Hey guys, first post here, I hope you all can help.
    A couple days ago i went to start my car and just after it started I heard a strange noise coming from what seemed to be the drivers side firewall, though it could have been anywhere. The noise started just after the car started and lasted about 10 seconds. Later the car seemed the pulse as you excelerated at about half throttle and 3-5k. Later that day the car wouldn't start. I didn't hear the fuel pump priming so I pulled the fuel lines off at the fuel pump and turned the key and no fuel was coming from the lines. I installed a Walbro 255lph pump and now the symptoms seem worse. The pump primes, there is fuel coming from the lines. Now when I start the car sometimes it stalls just after starting, sometimes it idles like **** and sometimes it just doesn't start. When i get into 2nd or higher gear and enter boost the car begins to hesitate and jerk.

So far I have cleaned the MAF, checked connection on the knock, CPS, TPS, ICV, and any other sensor I could think of. Replaced the fuel pump, the fuel filter was changed about 1 year ago. Also put new plugs in a year ago as well. checked the air filter and reset the ECU. I am out of ideas, tomorrow I will get an OBD11 tester and see whats on the computer but I still have not seen any CEL. Oh and
    Why would my car drive worse after a new fuel pump?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly I would actually test the battery. Load test it,voltage check,check the cables/terminals and then test the alternator. Cars to wacky crap when there is a voltage problem. If thats ruled out maybe check the cam timing. How many miles on the car? What year/model?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ok, Battery tests good. pulled the negative terminal while the engine was running and the alternator seems to be working fine. The car is an 02 WRX wagon. totally stock except for a cat-less up-pipe. I blew the engine about a year ago and had it rebuilt by a local Subaru only mechanic. If I had to guess I would think the car is running lean. Im not exactly sure what it feels like but my guess is the ECU is changing timing as I get into higher RPM's. I am running out to get the OBDII computer right now, still no CEL. Sometimes the engine just turns over and no start, sometimes it starts and sometimes it idles just fine but runs bad in the higher RPM's while getting into boost. Could there be a problem with the fuel pump controller.

Now this may be in my head but it almost seems like when the car starts the fuel pump makes a more "under load" sound, but the times the car is not starting it makes a louder "not under load" sound. Maybe i'm just hearing things. like I said going out to get an OBDII tester and a new fuel filter.

started up just fine. Went to the autoparts store, still driving funky in seconds half of rpm range. The store didnt have an OBDII scanner and claimed nobody around will loan them anymore. not sure what they meant by that. anyways, car wouldnt start for about an hour. Changed out the fuel filter in the parking lot. car started again, ran like crap, while driving home the CEL flashed for about 3 seconds, got home, car is starting but still running bad. It also doesn't seem to be boosting anymore as well. Anything above 4000rpm in 3-5 gear is pretty much useless.