EWG question

This is a discussion on EWG question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Question 1: So I have a TD04 with with a grimmspeed Uppipe and Tial 38mm EWG with a 11 psi ...

EWG question

Question 1:
    So I have a TD04 with with a grimmspeed Uppipe and Tial 38mm EWG with a 11 psi spring. I run a 3-port Perrin BCS.

Ever since I installed it I'm getting some strange (In my opinion) things that happen. When I'm just cruising under light load, the gate is obviously closed, but then when I am going up a hill or accelerating mildly, the gate will start to open at around 3 psi. It will be fully open by 7.5 psi and I can't get anymore unless I get past 20% throttle where the WGDC starts up and targets 10 psi.

I have a map where all WGDC and boost targets are 0. I cant get more than about 8 psi max under full throttle.

Question 2.
    Today I was driving in second gear about 2000 RPM after starting the car. (temp was between the C and the first line of the temp gauge) and all of the sudden the engine just cut for about one second. All the lights stayed on, and the AFR gauge flashed null (too lean), then it was back to normal. Hasn't done it again. I was thinking that it was a fuel problem, but I'm not 100% sure. Oil pressure was fine, no CEL's.

During spring break I'm taking my intake manifold off, doing the TGV deletes, putting new clamps on all fuel hoses, raising base fuel pressure by 10 psi, switching to open source, installing a new turbo inlet, and pressure testing everything, so any boost leaks will be caught then. I'm hoping 10 psi over base fuel pressure will help E85 cold start on these modded injectors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    Question 1:
    So I have a TD04 with with a grimmspeed Uppipe and Tial 38mm EWG with a 11 psi spring. I run a 3-port Perrin BCS.

Ever since I installed it I'm getting some strange (In my opinion) things that happen. When I'm just cruising under light load, the gate is obviously closed, but then when I am going up a hill or accelerating mildly, the gate will start to open at around 3 psi. It will be fully open by 7.5 psi and I can't get anymore unless I get past 20% throttle where the WGDC starts up and targets 10 psi.

I have a map where all WGDC and boost targets are 0. I cant get more than about 8 psi max under full throttle.
    Who tuned the car? If both the WGDC is zero and boost target is zero you will just run wastegate spring pressure. I'm not exactly sure what your trying to ask or what the problem is your trying to describe? Are you asking why it won't make more boost? Or are you asking why the gate is opening early?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot
    Question 2.
    Today I was driving in second gear about 2000 RPM after starting the car. (temp was between the C and the first line of the temp gauge) and all of the sudden the engine just cut for about one second. All the lights stayed on, and the AFR gauge flashed null (too lean), then it was back to normal. Hasn't done it again. I was thinking that it was a fuel problem, but I'm not 100% sure. Oil pressure was fine, no CEL's.
    Sounds like it bucked. Don't know why it would hit a fuel cut at that low an RPM. Maybe a lose wire or something? Check you coil packs maybe. Hard to tell. Sometime cars just hiccup
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Who tuned the car? If both the WGDC is zero and boost target is zero you will just run wastegate spring pressure. I'm not exactly sure what your trying to ask or what the problem is your trying to describe? Are you asking why it won't make more boost? Or are you asking why the gate is opening early?
    My bad. I fail at asking my own question! lol. I was wondering why the gate is opening so early. Too me it just doesn't make any sense. I tuned the car, its running on 90 octane, 17 psi down to 14, 13 degrees up to 25, 11:1 AFR.

I'm thinking when i tear the intake manifold off, I'll take off the EWG and open it up to see what spring i have in there. Perhaps they just gave me the weakest spring by mistake? That would be hard to believe though. because i can run 21 psi on E85, so hitting 21 PSI would be hard with such a weak spring right?

Sounds like it bucked. Don't know why it would hit a fuel cut at that low an RPM. Maybe a lose wire or something? Check you coil packs maybe. Hard to tell. Sometime cars just hiccup
    Ya I wasnt under much of any load. It was weird. All power went though, as in the engine seemed to shut off, so I think the coil packs would be ok. (BTW whats the expected lifespan of a coil pack?). Everything is running great now, so I'm just not going to worry about it.

I'm hoping when i get a new inlet and run new vaccum line, leak test, I can get my Idle vaccum from 18 inHG (Hot, no accessories on) to 20 inHG, where other people seem to have theirs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    My bad. I fail at asking my own question! lol. I was wondering why the gate is opening so early. Too me it just doesn't make any sense. I tuned the car, its running on 90 octane, 17 psi down to 14, 13 degrees up to 25, 11:1 AFR.
    Your not making alot of sense. You just said your wastegate boost targets and duty cycle are zero and you are running a 3port BCS. Now you say you are targeting 17psi. How can you target zero boost and use no WGDC to achieve 17psi with an 11 psi spring? Also just because the spring pressure is 11 psi that doesn't mean the wastegate will not crack open at a lower psi. It's just it will be fully open at 11psi when running wategate pressure (which it seems you are doing). This is where using the 3 port comes in handy to help it stay closed but you are not even using it with zero WGDC. Your confusing me.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok let me try again. (sorry for the confusion)

I have two maps I made. One is WG spring pressure map (for testing the EWG), the other is a normal stage 2-ish map.

On the map that i made for testing my wastegate, I have zero% duty cycles everywhere, zero'd boost targets. The boost i reach however, never exceeds 8 psi. This is supposedly a 11 psi spring. Thats why I'm confused. (also I'm confused why it opens so early)

On my normal map that i drive on everyday, I'm not targeting any boost until 20% throttle since i don't need the boost solenoid working when i can achieve boost without it. (easier on the solenoid). However the wastegate cracks open at only 3 psi. The more throttle I give it, the more boost I get UNTIL 8 psi, then once i pass 20% throttle position I get 10 psi etc.

I'm thinking about putting an 18 psi spring in there, if an 11 psi spring truly only gives me 8 psi max on spring pressure. Then it might not crack open until 10 psi or so at low loads.

I Support ClubWRX
    Me thinks maybe you have it hooked up wrong. I can hit 20+ psi with a 10 psi wastegate actuator. Towards the end of the PDF there are schematics on hooking up EWG's to 3 -ports.
    CobbTuning.com - How Subaruís Factory Boost Control System Works
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Me thinks maybe you have it hooked up wrong. I can hit 20+ psi with a 10 psi wastegate actuator. Towards the end of the PDF there are schematics on hooking up EWG's to 3 -ports.
    CobbTuning.com - How Subaruís Factory Boost Control System Works
    I'm not having any trouble making boost. Ran 21 psi on E85 this fall.

The point is its cracking open too early on the street in my opinion. An 11 psi spring opening at 3 psi is a little extreme. If i go 100% throttle than the boost solenoid keeps it from opening until near when i hit target boost, but its just getting tiring to hear it open up all the time at low throttle conditions.

I Support ClubWRX
    Like I said earlier,its gonna crack open at lower boost levels. You can actually test the spring by removing the unit from the car and by slowing applying 8psi from an air compressor and blow gun to the port. Slowly increasing the pressure until it fully opens. Regardless the problem is easily solvable by adding in WGDC to keep it from cracking open. Same thing everybody does with IWG's.
    Last edited by Donkey; 02-06-2010 at 07:39 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S