Grinding/Worn pads sound from new wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Grinding/Worn pads sound from new wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Almost since I got my 09 WRX (~700 miles) I have been experiencing a grinding and squeaking from my breaks. ...

Grinding/Worn pads sound from new wrx

Almost since I got my 09 WRX (~700 miles) I have been experiencing a grinding and squeaking from my breaks. The car has about 3800 miles now, and it has never gone away. If I break gently and slowly the sound is minimized/disappears, but under normal breaking I always hear it. I have pretty much disregarded it as my pads/rotors breaking in, but after 3800 miles this is still happening. I am familiar with the sound, it sounds exactly like my 95 legacy did when the pads were worn out. This was happening at 700 miles though!, I have never heard of pads wearing out in 3800 miles, much less 700. I don't drive this car aggressively, I don't floor it into red lights and slam on the breaks etc so I am kind of at a loss as to what is causing this problem. Anyone else experiencing this on a new WRX or know what is causing this?

TLDR: My breaks sound like they need replacement pads after 3800 miles on a new car. Why?
    Last edited by Ashesofthewake; 02-03-2010 at 10:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bring it back to the dealer and ask them to have a look. I'm assuming this is a 09 or 2010.. its under warranty so anything jacked up would be covered.

Esp with just 3800mi on the car. I've got 10k mi on my 2010 already and not a peep out of the brakes. Something with yours isn't right, I'd def take it in.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Bring it back to the dealer and ask them to have a look. I'm assuming this is a 09 or 2010.. its under warranty so anything jacked up would be covered.

Esp with just 3800mi on the car. I've got 10k mi on my 2010 already and not a peep out of the brakes. Something with yours isn't right, I'd def take it in.
    Yea,it is an 09. I'm sure that is probably the best plan. Is it kosher to just take it to any dealer for warranty service? My favorite dealer is near home, but I'm at college in Philly.

Any dealer will be able to resolve this issue for you.

So I had it in to Flemington Subaru about a week after I posted this. They took off the wheels and inspected the brakes, they said nothing was wrong. The tech brought me on the the floor showed me and said "I hate when I have to say things like this to customers, but Subaru does say some noise is normal" They offered to install a kit to decrease the noise, but I told them if it's normal then I'm not going to fret over just the noise.

A month later and it hasn't decreased at all. This isn't me just being a paranoid new car owner though, It really sounds like I ate through my pads and am grinding the backing on the rotors. It seems to be worse when the brakes are warmer. The noise varies from a high pitched squeal to a serious grinding that can almost be felt. Any ideas?

that doesn't seem right.. "some" noise is not enough to be felt.. maybe a light squeal but nothing like you describe. I'd bring it back and ask that they swap the pads/rotors for new all around. something definitely doesn't seem right.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Some pads have more NVH than others, I'm sure the stock factory pads aren't the best. The very first thing i did when i got my car was turn the rotors and slap on some ceramic pads. They're only load when they're cold. But since your car is brand new I'd just make it the dealers problem.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

I understand that these aren't normal symptoms for a new car, but how do I go about getting the dealer to replace something they said was functioning properly though? I mean yeah, I should not be having this problem, but they did say my rotors and pads were fine. Should I just tell them that I am really concerned about the safety of my brakes, and the noise doesn't sound conducive to properly functioning brakes? I have never had a car that was under any sort of warranty before, and I am used to just trying to fix a problem out of pocket as economically as possible when one arises.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.