Grinding sound coming from front brakes when stopping

This is a discussion on Grinding sound coming from front brakes when stopping within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I didn't notice this until recently, because it's not loud enough to hear over the stereo. So I'm not 100% ...

Grinding sound coming from front brakes when stopping

I didn't notice this until recently, because it's not loud enough to hear over the stereo. So I'm not 100% on how long they've been making the sound. I never heard the squeal sensors going off though. I had the stereo off the other day though and the grinding noise was very noticeable.

It doesn't seem to do it much (if at all) at higher speeds. But the closer I come to a complete stop, the worse it seems to get. Stopping distances seem to be the same as they've always been. Although I must concede it is possible that a gradual decline has numbed me from accurately measuring that. I certainly would not say I'm having any trouble stopping in time or quickly when need be however.

I bought my 04 WRX used, and the previous owner had upgraded the brakes. I believe the calipers are XTR or SXT or some similar acronym (they're red with white lettering and look bigger than stock, but I forget the exact name) and I think the rotors are aftermarket too. I asked the guy about the brakes when I bought the car, but that was 2 years ago so I don't remember exactly what he had done. Can't remember for the life of me what brand the pads are either. In any case...

What am I likely looking at here? Worn out pads and/or rotors? Loose calipers causing uneven braking?
    Things always work out if you just do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, sounds like your pads are worn out and at least the rotor that is grinding needs to be replaced.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Ok, thanks. That's what I thought, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I go spending money.
    Things always work out if you just do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences

I Support ClubWRX
    Get in there and check the pads, it may not require a rotor if you are lucky. Sometimes, especially if the car is driven rarely, there can be a constant grinding noise like you describe and you can get away with pads. Pads are trivial to replace; rotors take a little bit more time and swearing but aren't unrealistic either.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well, the car is driven to and from work four days a week (about 15 minute trip) and to and from class three days a week (twenty minute drive) in addition to wherever else I go.

I wouldn't consider it rarely driven, but I probably put slightly less miles on it than most do on their cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK then make the time to have a look at all four corners, it may save additional expense down the road if you prevent unnecessary wear now. Also check closely for caught debris.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok, thanks

Interestingly, I just went through the box of old parts I got with the car. At least, I thought they were old parts. There's a set of 4 HB193 HPS Hawk7266-2-EF 747-1ac31E pads in there that appear as if they've never been used. That's what the pads say anyways, the box says HB193f.670. Incredible.

I googled them and it says they are the right size for Brembo big brake kits. Looking closer at my calipers, they appear to be TVR (lettering is worn though so it's hard to be certain) which I believe are Brembo knock offs. So that would make a lot of sense.

With free pads, I may just go ahead and take the plunge on some nice rotors.

Are these DBAs good rotors for the price range?
    Last edited by Kramerica; 02-04-2010 at 03:28 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramerica View Post

With free pads, I may just go ahead and take the plunge on some nice rotors.

Are these DBAs good rotors for the price range?
    Yup.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Nice. I'm scratching my head in disbelief that the guy bought two extra sets of front pads just to be prepared. Well, works for me