Oil change at 3k....go to 6k or 7.5k?

This is a discussion on Oil change at 3k....go to 6k or 7.5k? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I purchased the prepaid maintenance through subaru which gives me all maintenance for 3 years or 36k miles. I ...

Oil change at 3k....go to 6k or 7.5k?

So I purchased the prepaid maintenance through subaru which gives me all maintenance for 3 years or 36k miles. I got my first oil changed at 3k miles exactly. So here is my question:

Do I go back at 6K and get another oil change? Or do I wait till 7.5k and get the 7.5k service (which is more than just the normal oil change). I really don't want to go 4500 miles on one oil change so maybe I should go at 7k and ask them to perform the 7.5k service. I'd rather have them change my oil every 3k miles as I personally think that is when the oil should get changed (despite subaru saying every 3500-4000 I think).

Thoughts?
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I change mine every 3k
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
    i change mine every 3k
    +1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brbauer View Post

Thoughts?
    ... are a waste of time. Check your owner's manual for the maintenance schedule. Follow that to the letter, using authentic Subaru parts. Keep all receipts with the dates of service organized in a folder or binder.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^ the manual and subaru call for a change once every 3750 on my 09... I still have the dealer change my oil every 3k...

I really dont know where 3750 comes from, but one can tell that oil is reaching the end of its life around 3k...

Besides changing your oil more often then recommended wont hurt anything. It actually should help longevity of your motor...

However Like SD_GR said, follow your maintenance intervals to the letter. And KEEP TRACK OF THEM! This will help in warranty related issues and will increase the value of your car when you sell it!
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Thanks for the info - I am planning on following the manual religiously for all maintenance. That is why I am bringing this up. Also, I already have a "subaru" file where I am keeping all receipts (maintenance, parts, etc) so I can show it all for maintenance reasons and for re-sale.

So here is the problem: I got my oil changed at 3,000 miles instead of 3750. So the next schedule maintenace according to subaru is 7500. Should I just go at 6750 (3750 after my first oil change) and have them performed the 7500 service?

Is there anyone on here that works for a subaru dealership that would know the normal response that I will get when I come in at 6750 miles and say I want my 7500 mile service?
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I change between 3,000 to 4,500. Subaru recommends 4,500 in my manual, so that's what I set for my maximum. 3,000 when I can and have time, and 4,500 at the latest.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the manual untill your warranty goes bye bye. I personally have been running 5k-7.5K oil change intervals(I try to do 5k) since I bought the car with 55K on the odometer. Using Purolator Pure One filter and 5w40 Rotella T synthetic (key word here). Now have 155K+ on the odometer and this is with 85K on a "aggressive stage 2" tune and now 15K on a 18G.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S