smoke from exhaust?

This is a discussion on smoke from exhaust? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just bought an 05 wrx and i have noticed this twice when i shift from second to third i ...

smoke from exhaust?

i just bought an 05 wrx and i have noticed this twice when i shift from second to third i get a cloud of smoke or something shoot out of the tailpipe. doesnt happen every time not really sure why it would do that. it has a turbo back exhaust and thats it for mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What color smoke? Could be a couple of things. Could be oil getting past the rings,head gasket problem or more commonly the car is running rich. The car probably just needs some general maintenance. You don't have an aftermarket VTA BOV? Those can cause it as well.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    what color smoke? Could be a couple of things. Could be oil getting past the rings,head gasket problem or more commonly the car is running rich. The car probably just needs some general maintenance. You don't have an aftermarket vta bov? Those can cause it as well.
    +1

its a white smoke, and no aftermarket bov.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonNe1 View Post
    its a white smoke, and no aftermarket bov.
    White smoke huh...this isnt only on cold start is it? Does it spray white smoke out the tailpipe all the time ( I know you said 2nd to third shift)? If this is the case...a shot from the hip I would either say perhaps a turbo problem or a head gasket problem ( However I will say of the thousands of bad Subaru HG's Ive seen prob. 8 out of 10 leak externally and dont burn coolant..Do you have to be in boost for it to happen or just normal upshifting/driving?...

Its when the car is warmed up but its not even every time i shift from second to third, ive only seen it happen 2-3 times, i am making boost when it happens. If its turbo problem it would do it every time i make boost though wouldnt it?

Its when the car is warmed up but its not even every time i shift from second to third, ive only seen it happen 2-3 times, i am making boost when it happens. If its turbo problem it would do it every time i make boost though wouldnt it?

Its only done it 2-3 times in how long...a week? month?...Are you noticing any coolant or oil loss? Has the temp gauge changed at all from the norm? If you have the means I might do a cooling system pressure test just as a general check..might yield some insight...

its done it 2-3 times in a couple days when i baught it, i havent noticed it anymore, but no fluid loss that is noticable. maybe its nothing just thought it was weird.

its done it 2-3 times in a couple days when i baught it, i havent noticed it anymore, but no fluid loss that is noticable. maybe its nothing just thought it was weird.
    Hmmm interesting...yes perhaps it was just one of those "demons" lol...either way good luck with the car man...