Huge wiring issue

This is a discussion on Huge wiring issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im about to go crazy over this situation. Ok so basically I had a problem with the Ign fuse constantly ...

Huge wiring issue

im about to go crazy over this situation. Ok so basically I had a problem with the Ign fuse constantly blowing, I thought it was possibly from my HIDs grounding out somewhere on the body. So I just took them out and used fog lights for my lighting. Everything seemed to be fine. Well I go to hook up my lights again to see if I maybe crossed a wire, nothing seems to be out of order and they wont work, no fuses are blown, and none of the relays for the head lights work. Well some how my marker lights are now stuck on even with both the key and the switch in the off position. I did find a slight problem under the wheel well the tire had rubbed into the wiring harness but only 3 wires were effected which were repaired. I have no idea what to do this is my only car and Im pretty stumped on what it could be. Anyone have something similar happen to them? Or anyone know where I could start? this is on a 2002 wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First..as for your parking lights check the "virgin" switch on top of the steering column...perhaps it was switched by accident...this switch is designed to keep your parking lights on wheather the key is in the ignition or not...Off-road use or something I suppose...lol...

wow, haha I feel retarded, marker lights are solved I never really knew what that switch was for, and as for the headlight where could I start?

o real quick is it possible to fry the diode?

Quote Originally Posted by Klutes View Post
    o real quick is it possible to fry the diode?
    These are aftermarket HIDs correct? Its def. hard to diag when things are brought in from the aftermarket due to the fact we dont really have a wiring diagram and we dont know how the system is wired....besides checking the bulbs I would check for proper powers and grounds..and as you mentioned check all fuses...the basics...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    These are aftermarket HIDs correct? Its def. hard to diag when things are brought in from the aftermarket due to the fact we dont really have a wiring diagram and we dont know how the system is wired....besides checking the bulbs I would check for proper powers and grounds..and as you mentioned check all fuses...the basics...
    +1 Too many variables. Buy a multimeter and learn to use it! It will be the easiest way to track down the problem or allow us to help you.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yea i was probably just going to break down and buy one, now when using it your just measuring the resistance(ohms) correct? and this is a basic plug and play hid, no wire splicing and such. The lights do work, I ran 12v to the positive on each HID and they were fine. where would I start with the multimeter?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutes View Post
    yea i was probably just going to break down and buy one, now when using it your just measuring the resistance(ohms) correct? and this is a basic plug and play hid, no wire splicing and such. The lights do work, I ran 12v to the positive on each HID and they were fine. where would I start with the multimeter?
    It called a "multimeter" for a reason. It can be used to measure resistance,voltage,temperature,diode check,continuity.......all depends on the unit you got. For the most part you need to be using voltage. Always start by verifying power and where the power is coming from. Start at the lights and work backwards. Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean it isn't energized/getting power. You could have dropped a ground.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S