Smoking turbo/power steering
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Smoking turbo/power steering within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I had the thread about the smoking turbo about a month ago and figured out that the power ...

Smoking turbo/power steering

Hey all,

I had the thread about the smoking turbo about a month ago and figured out that the power steering pump was leaking back to the turbo heat shield.

Got to figuring out the power steering pump is about shot and thus, a new question.

Like all of you, I hate going through the dealerships for parts/labor and enjoy doing the labor myself. My question is on my 2005 WRX the dealership gave me their standard "this is changed, this is changed, this is changed", yada yada... If I were to go through NAPA or Checker for the pump they say they can order (at a third of the price of the dealership mind you), would they have the OEM part, or would they be ordering the same one Subaru is trying to sell me? Also, would the new one really require the "new" clamp, bolt, relay, and harness the dealership is hawking for an additional 130 bucks or so? Generally, I throw out most of what a dealership says but I know next to nothing about the power steering pump on this car, so I thought I would turn to the ClubWRX'perts...

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

New clamp and bolt def. ( I'm assuming they are referring to the banjo bolt on the pump and the low pressure side hose clamp which runs over to the reservoir behind the Passenger side headlight housing) I have no idea why they would be telling you to replace the relay and harness ( I'm assuming there talking about the harness where the Power steering pressure swtich clips onto the pump housing..no idea what relay they are talking about)....Either way...Personally I would prob get the OEM parts and do the labor yourself...the job isnt too involved but you should have at least some mechanical apptitude to attempt replacment...The reason I recommend an OEM P/S pump is because I have seen aftermarket ones leak on these cars and Ive said it before and Ill say it again...Subarus are very touchy with certain aftermarket parts....thermostats, axles etc....I'm just starting to shy P/S pumps into that column...lol...also....Why put junk on such a nice Subie......

Haha... Thx for the reply. It is not so much an aftermarket power steering pump for performance or anything like that. Sorry if I didnt make it clear. The dealership said the pump they want to sell me is a completely different pump and I would need all the new crap for it.

I would much rather use the OEM one but cant find it. Checker auto parts says its in their system but they can not even order it. NAPA and PepBoys say it is not even in their system and I do not know who online would be reputable and good.

I found this: Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - Power Steering Pump For 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX 4 Cyl 2.0L but do not know about the site...

Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    New clamp and bolt def. ( I'm assuming they are referring to the banjo bolt on the pump and the low pressure side hose clamp which runs over to the reservoir behind the Passenger side headlight housing) I have no idea why they would be telling you to replace the relay and harness ( I'm assuming there talking about the harness where the Power steering pressure swtich clips onto the pump housing..no idea what relay they are talking about)....Either way...Personally I would prob get the OEM parts and do the labor yourself...the job isnt too involved but you should have at least some mechanical apptitude to attempt replacment...The reason I recommend an OEM P/S pump is because I have seen aftermarket ones leak on these cars and Ive said it before and Ill say it again...Subarus are very touchy with certain aftermarket parts....thermostats, axles etc....I'm just starting to shy P/S pumps into that column...lol...also....Why put junk on such a nice Subie......
    Last edited by ATCtower; 02-01-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATCtower View Post
    Haha... Thx for the reply. It is not so much an aftermarket power steering pump for performance or anything like that. Sorry if I didnt make it clear. The dealership said the pump they want to sell me is a completely different pump and I would need all the new crap for it.

I would much rather use the OEM one but cant find it. Checker auto parts says its in their system but they can not even order it. NAPA and PepBoys say it is not even in their system and I do not know who online would be reputable and good.

I found this: Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - Power Steering Pump For 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX 4 Cyl 2.0L but do not know about the site...

Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.
    Try this.... www.Subarupartsforyou.com ...I hear they have some pretty good prices however I have never personally bought anything from them...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.