Phantom Oil Leak... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

This is a discussion on Phantom Oil Leak... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by subcon At this point I am ready to try anything. I will try the dye and if ...

  1. #16
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by subcon View Post
    At this point I am ready to try anything. I will try the dye and if I still haven't found the leak(s), I am just going to take the damn thing to someone. I hate to do that as I am a mechanic in training but this **** is wearing me down; not to mention my wife threatening to light the car on fire because it consumes all of my free time. I appreciate all of the help, and if at any point you have anymore suggestions, I will keep an eye on the thread. Thanks again.
    No prob. man good luck...I remember when I was a tech in training lol..Now I'm a tech for Subaru....lol...Its a tough life however the knowledge you consume is unbelievable ( that might sound arrogant lol)....

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User subcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    No prob. man good luck...I remember when I was a tech in training lol..Now I'm a tech for Subaru....lol...Its a tough life however the knowledge you consume is unbelievable ( that might sound arrogant lol)....
    I don't think it sounds arrogant at all; I am thinking of heading that direction myself (working for subaru) but who knows; I've still got a few months before I finish the program. I was just thinking: maybe 10w -30 would slow the leaks down at least until I have more time to mess with it. I live in florida, so the weather never gets to ridiculously cold anyways...what are your thoughts...

  4. #18
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by subcon View Post
    I don't think it sounds arrogant at all; I am thinking of heading that direction myself (working for subaru) but who knows; I've still got a few months before I finish the program. I was just thinking: maybe 10w -30 would slow the leaks down at least until I have more time to mess with it. I live in florida, so the weather never gets to ridiculously cold anyways...what are your thoughts...
    Hmm it might....Did you put in a new PCV valve when you did the motor rebuild?

  5. #19
    Registered User subcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Hmm it might....Did you put in a new PCV valve when you did the motor rebuild?
    I just changed the pcv valve about two days ago hoping that would be the "ultimate fix" but it wasn't. The old pcv valve was so gummed up it wasn't doing its job anymore anyway, so it needed to be changed. However, the oil leak hasn't let up. It isn't a bad oil leak...I mean, any oil leak is bad, but it isn't pouring. I am adding about 1/5 of a quart every 200-250 miles; just enough to piss me off...

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8

    Unhappy having the same phantom oil leak too

    i just recently rebuild my motor as well and it is leaking on the right hand side near the valve cover. it drips on the exaust header near the timing cover area.. ..i too think the valve cover may be warp, or not enough sealant or maybe the cam seals.. its only on the right hand side too.. since i suspect high heat in that area.... the only thing i can think its leaking like that i too thought the pcv valve was an issue.. i had these things ...same phantom issues as well damn phantoms

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by blackonblackrid View Post
    i just recently rebuild my motor as well and it is leaking on the right hand side near the valve cover. it drips on the exaust header near the timing cover area.. ..i too think the valve cover may be warp, or not enough sealant or maybe the cam seals.. its only on the right hand side too.. since i suspect high heat in that area.... the only thing i can think its leaking like that i too thought the pcv valve was an issue.. i had these things ...same phantom issues as well damn phantoms
    also.. the left hand gasket wasnt even on good enough and didnt leak.. what the F yo???

  8. #22
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackonblackrid View Post
    i just recently rebuild my motor as well and it is leaking on the right hand side near the valve cover. it drips on the exaust header near the timing cover area.. ..i too think the valve cover may be warp, or not enough sealant or maybe the cam seals.. its only on the right hand side too.. since i suspect high heat in that area.... the only thing i can think its leaking like that i too thought the pcv valve was an issue.. i had these things ...same phantom issues as well damn phantoms
    As I mentioned...I think..lol...clean everything off, pop some dye in the oil and hop under the car in a week or so and the leak area should become evident....you actually rebuilt the entire motor? So the motor was out of the vehicle? I say this because if the motor was out its 100X's easier to do everything than in the vehicle and the chance to "knick" something, I believe goes down significantly...

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    As I mentioned...I think..lol...clean everything off, pop some dye in the oil and hop under the car in a week or so and the leak area should become evident....you actually rebuilt the entire motor? So the motor was out of the vehicle? I say this because if the motor was out its 100X's easier to do everything than in the vehicle and the chance to "knick" something, I believe goes down significantly...
    yeah i didnt have time to give a good QA over everything but i pulled the engine out twice..and had a buddy help me this time.. it didnt leak as bad the 2nd time.. i thought i blown a head gasket or something but nah she fine b/c car runs.. just that damn oil leak on the right side. i'm in PA now just moved from maine.. and yeah i did it out side in the cold and snow ...i'm going to mess with it this coming friday..bugI been out of commission for a while

  10. #24
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackonblackrid View Post
    yeah i didnt have time to give a good QA over everything but i pulled the engine out twice..and had a buddy help me this time.. it didnt leak as bad the 2nd time.. i thought i blown a head gasket or something but nah she fine b/c car runs.. just that damn oil leak on the right side. i'm in PA now just moved from maine.. and yeah i did it out side in the cold and snow ...i'm going to mess with it this coming friday..bugI been out of commission for a while
    Theres a hell of a change Maine vs. PA...Just keep in mind you dont want to just go replacing things such as your cam seals if theres a chance it could just be your VC gasket...I would pretty sure on the location of the leak before you go replacing/resealing things...

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Theres a hell of a change Maine vs. PA...Just keep in mind you dont want to just go replacing things such as your cam seals if theres a chance it could just be your VC gasket...I would pretty sure on the location of the leak before you go replacing/resealing things...
    man... maybe i should of listen to you.. so here i go.. i went ahead and check the cam seals.. man... like what the f yo.. thing was drive as burnt coal.. it was vc... went ahead and bought a new gasket.. i suspected it the first time.. but i had doubt..and went all out.. so in turn wasted necessary man hours on r&r. i ended up giving up.. i do need to purchase a catch can..most importantly a good running car... i kind of beat up my subbi badly it is lack of a better words hoed out and smacked around..

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by subcon View Post
    I appreciate the help; I knew it was a shot it the dark. I was hoping there was some kind of recall or some recurring problem with the valve covers warping...something to that effect. Thanks again for the suggestions, hopefully I can find the problem soon...

    you know something i'm with you on the warping valve covers.. something needs further investigation...i took everything off.. and put it back on.. it goes get hot in that area replaced the gasket and now it doesnt leak as much but still smokes..b/c the oil drips on exhaust...

  13. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by subcon View Post
    I have an 03 WRX and rebuilt the engine about 500 miles ago. I had a few minor problems but nothing too bad. The two biggest problems were the leaky thermostat housing and an oil leak that appeared to be coming from the passenger side valve cover. I ordered a new thermostat seal and a new valve cover gasket from Subaru. I got the coolant leak squared away and started working to change the valve cover gasket; I was thinking that the one that was on the car might have been defective. Upon removing the gasket I realized that nothing was wrong with it. Confused, I wiped everything clean and put in the new gasket that I had just purchased. I drove the car home from the shop and hoped that the problem had been solved. This morning, the same leak taunts me. It is coming from somewhere on the bottom side of the valve cover. It isn't the oil line for the turbo and I can't think of anything else on that side of the car where the oil could possibly be coming from to land directly on the bottom side of that valve cover. If anyone has any ideas, please throw them my direction because I am ready to stab my eyes out. Thanks.
    subcon i too am still having the same problem except when i remove all the **** thinking it was the cam seal damn cam seal was dry the "PHANTOM" leak is still emiting from the valve cover directly behind the rear timing cover..The only possible thing i can think of is it has to be warped.. I do have aftermarket headers.. it has gotten "overly warm with an exhaust leak in that area..I am at the point of.. i may A either buy a new valve cover.. B buy a new rh head complete just to stop the leak.. I went and bought a gasket... i didnt use fuji bond but use high temp copper gasket and you can clearly see it drip on the exhaust header where it couples into 1.. besides the leak the damn car runs great. I even put a troff on it so it wouldn't really hit the exhuast and smoke.. I will try to take a pic of it.. b/c we need the investigate on this... now please note" i have RR the engine 2 times plus remove the timing to look behind at cam seals. even replace valve cover gasket. but this time its not pouring.. replace pcv valve even have a catch can incorporated even drain the oil and refill.. and still have leaks on RH valve cover area near timing cover...i have exhausted all lower end funds so my next attemp is go to a salvage yard and see if i can find a valve cover for cheap.. if i cant .. then i'm going to have to pay someone...

  14. #28
    Registered User subcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by blackonblackrid View Post
    subcon i too am still having the same problem except when i remove all the **** thinking it was the cam seal damn cam seal was dry the "PHANTOM" leak is still emiting from the valve cover directly behind the rear timing cover..The only possible thing i can think of is it has to be warped.. I do have aftermarket headers.. it has gotten "overly warm with an exhaust leak in that area..I am at the point of.. i may A either buy a new valve cover.. B buy a new rh head complete just to stop the leak.. I went and bought a gasket... i didnt use fuji bond but use high temp copper gasket and you can clearly see it drip on the exhaust header where it couples into 1.. besides the leak the damn car runs great. I even put a troff on it so it wouldn't really hit the exhuast and smoke.. I will try to take a pic of it.. b/c we need the investigate on this... now please note" i have RR the engine 2 times plus remove the timing to look behind at cam seals. even replace valve cover gasket. but this time its not pouring.. replace pcv valve even have a catch can incorporated even drain the oil and refill.. and still have leaks on RH valve cover area near timing cover...i have exhausted all lower end funds so my next attemp is go to a salvage yard and see if i can find a valve cover for cheap.. if i cant .. then i'm going to have to pay someone...
    I solved the problem! ...I sold the car. Thanks again for all the support from this forum. Blackonblackrid, I really hope you can figure it out; sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •