Amp/sub install + loss of engine power

This is a discussion on Amp/sub install + loss of engine power within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So two days ago i installed a sony 800 watt xplod amp with one 12" polk subwoofer. (got them for ...

Amp/sub install + loss of engine power

So two days ago i installed a sony 800 watt xplod amp with one 12" polk subwoofer. (got them for free). Well before i actually removed the positive terminal and connected the amp, i hooked the ring terminal temporarily to the postive terminal on the battery to test the amp. Well yesterday i noticed that my car was running wayyyy smoother. it wouldn't buck when i let off the gas in 2nd and the shifts were incredibly smooth. but when i tried to get on it from a light it seemed like it was bogged down and not pulling as hard as usual.

Also when i was removing the amp power cable from the positive battery terminal i got and electrical arc from the battery to the cable terminal. is there a way the arc could have reset the ecu or something of the like?

So i guess what i'm asking is there any way that installing an amp and woofer could cause this or is it something different?
    Bugeye Mafia #306

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hard to tell but next time remove the negative battery cable when installing electrical equipment.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by mbrown44 View Post
    i actually removed the positive terminal

i noticed that my car was running wayyyy smoother. it wouldn't buck when i let off the gas in 2nd and the shifts were incredibly smooth. but when i tried to get on it from a light it seemed like it was bogged down and not pulling as hard as usual.

?
    Congrats, you reset the ecu .. when you disconnected the pos terminal you removed the constant memory power for the ecu. It then re-sets back to its original factory settings. Drive it for a few more weeks like you normally would and it will adapt back to how it was.

The arc is normal, and should not have affected your ecu. Its caused by a difference in charge between the caps in the amp power supply and the battery.

or even in a car without any external amplifiers.. if there is something in the system that creates a draw.. it will arc slightly when the battery is reconnected.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Hard to tell but next time remove the negative battery cable when installing electrical equipment.
    I will keep this in mind next time i install anything.

Thank you both for the insight and advice.

also, my car is completely stock as far as mods but i've only had it for 2 and a half months. The previous owner was an older guy who said he didn't mod it. There was an owner before him that i suspect may have modded the car because the green plug that you unplug when installing an accessport in unplugged. so would there somehow be a left over map that i erased when i reset the ecu? or was it just adapted to my driving and it will eventually get back to how it was when it re-adapts to my driving?

Thank you so much for the help
    Bugeye Mafia #306

I Support ClubWRX
    There was an owner before him that i suspect may have modded the car because the green plug that you unplug when installing an accessport in unplugged.
    You have it backwards.It is supposed to be unplugged. It is a diagnostic connector. If you plugged it back together,unplug it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Haha nah i didn't plug it in. but there are a few other plugs in that same general area. is that normal?
    Bugeye Mafia #306

resetting the ecu wouldnt clear the map present on it

ok thanks for clearing up my confusion.

I'm still kind of a n00b when it comes to most electrical car things
    Bugeye Mafia #306

Haha nah i didn't plug it in. but there are a few other plugs in that same general area. is that normal?
    I'm assuming you have a bugeye...Yes there a few "unplugged" connectors down there or just the male or female ends of some...these are used to read codes from ABS and Airbag and sometimes other systems....