wont start

This is a discussion on wont start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i got a 02 wrx and last night i was driving it when all of a sudden it ...

wont start

hey guys i got a 02 wrx and last night i was driving it when all of a sudden it starting losing power (seemed like running out of fuel) then the car just stalled out no check engine light came on. i pulled over and popped the hood and the turbo was glowing bright cherry red. i got it towed home and tried to start it this morning and it wont start it cranks but sounds like its not firing. i checked all my fuses and they are all good i am going to check the fuel filter when i get home and see if that is clogged. anyone got any advice? the car is basically bone stock only thing done is a cat back exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? Check the basics first...how is the battery? charging system? Make sure your getting fuel, spark, and air to the cylinders... Did the car overheat at all? Do you have a massive air leak somewhere? Usually when the exhaust glows red it means the vehicle is running way lean...I'm very surprised the CEL didn't illuminate...did you check the ECU for codes? Wait..your 100% sure there is fuel in the vehicle right?

How many miles are on the vehicle?
    it has 85k miles.
    how is the battery? charging system?
    i know the battery is good.
    Did the car overheat at all?
    the car did not come close to overheating at all was running normal engine temp. but a couple weeks ago my fan fuses popped and i was sitting in traffic and it got close to completely overheating got to the red but not past before i noticed it but hot enough to boil coolant. i tested the coolant after that and i tested good. no traces of oil in coolant or coolant in oil.
    I'm very surprised the CEL didn't illuminate...did you check the ECU for codes?
    i am going to grab a obd tester on my way home and check for codes. the cel comes and goes for the past month pulled the code a few times and got a left bank running lean code but since it comes and goes i was figuring the o2 sensor was starting to go bad.
    Do you have a massive air leak somewhere?
    i never found a vac leak on the car i checked a few times this month.
    Wait..your 100% sure there is fuel in the vehicle right?
    I just put 4 gallons in it about 8 miles ago so i know it has gas.
    Usually when the exhaust glows red it means the vehicle is running way lean...Make sure your getting fuel, spark, and air to the cylinders...
    i do agree that glowing turbo means very lean so i am thinking maybe a bad fuel filter. when turning the car over to start sounds like no gas not making any firing sounds. one thing i was thinking is could an elevation change effect much running stock components cause the problem happened when i was climbing a big hill i don't know if you have ever been to billings mt but the climb to the airport is steep and long

hmmm...well what you could do is pop the feed line off of the rail...the line which goes from the fuel filter to the rail....stick that line in a bucket and have someone crank the engine..if the fuel filter is clogged obviously a minimal amount of fuel will come out....Any maintenance history? I hope its not the timing belt...

i just bought the car a little over 2 months ago and the old owner replaced the timing belt so i don't think that is it i will try the fuel filter when i get off work today. just got an oil change done. the car has also been starting kinda hard lately when its high 20s to low 30s it starts like its subzero out so maybe ****ty gas and freezing lines? first time ever riding in a taxi and don't want to have to do it again tomorrow so all info is appreciated.

changed the fuel filter last night and nothing changed. still wont start i am going to check the timing belt when i get off work today hopefully it didn't break. is the 2.0 an interference motor?

Yes the ej20 is an interference motor...if the belt actually broke you would most likely have a fast crank also...perhaps it just skipped...I have seen the dohc subaru timing belts jump before and not bend valves however that is somewhat rare...

checked the timing belt last night and not snapped. how do i check the timing on these cars?

Quote Originally Posted by revvin7 View Post
    checked the timing belt last night and not snapped. how do i check the timing on these cars?
    The manual is a good place to start. I found my manual for my 04 here: Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com
    The 04 has all the details around what to do to inspect it so I'm assuming the 02 would as well.

If the old owner replaced it I doubt it is the issue. But still...

Is your fuel pump working?
    Have you checked your compression? or air leaks?
    Spark plugs?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Did you actually check to make sure fuel is flowing? It could be your fuel pump.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

well i broke down and took it into a shop thats down the street from my house they had it all day yesterday and couldn't figure a single thing out they just said it could be a blown turbo or burnt valve or blown motor they weren't sure they said it had plenty of fuel pressure and that all the coils were good and there was spark. so now i brought it to a shop in town the specializes in Subaru's so i will let you all know what i find out. i am starting to lean more towards bad ecu or blown motor hopefully some stupid little sensor or wire is bad though.

hmmm perhaps the crank sensor developed a dead spot...though you would usually get an intermittent hard start if that was the case...I'm still leaning towards a timing issue at the moment...but yea keep us informed...

Quote Originally Posted by revvin7 View Post
    well i broke down and took it into a shop thats down the street from my house
    I did that once too... it was a waste of time. I eventually had to take it to a dealer to get the work I needed done on mine.... I need to find a place that is familiar with Subies, since the dealer can be a bit pricey.

Good luck, I hope they figure it out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Something like this happened very recently. It turned out the motor was pulling a ton of timing due to a loose/bad knock sensor. Totally freak thing.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

well i just heard back from the shop today and my motor is blown anyone know of a good place to get a motor? or anyone want to buy the car as repairable?