Noisy ass valve train... is this normal?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Noisy ass valve train... is this normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i just bought my used 07 WRX with a little over 50k on the clock... i've noticed that the ...

Noisy ass valve train... is this normal?

So i just bought my used 07 WRX with a little over 50k on the clock...

i've noticed that the vlave train is extremely noisy, there's ticking, etc... almost sounds like a small tractor lol... but not as loud... i'm sure it's not knock, there's no power loss, car runs strong and idles steady...

so i guess my question is, is this normal?
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Our horizontally opposed motors are notorious for having loud valve trains. some ticking is normal. There are plenty of threads on the forum with people changing oils and having some success with lowering the tick.

At idle your car is going to make all kinds of noise. I discover a new noise with my 09 almost once a week lol...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

My 06 has noisy valves too. Typical for a lot of vehicles nowadays, add winter weather and it's louder.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Word... i'm not so worried now... lol, and i've noticed it's louder at idle, doesn't do it so much under load.

I'll try changing the oil soon and see if that helps. any suggestions on brand or weight?
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by INTA:LECT View Post
    Word... i'm not so worried now... lol, and i've noticed it's louder at idle, doesn't do it so much under load.

I'll try changing the oil soon and see if that helps. any suggestions on brand or weight?
    Oil FAQ: Read if you want more information on oil, oil filters, and oil changes! - NASIOC

The fuel injectors on pretty much all Subarus in general are louder than some other cars also..at least from my experience.... Perhaps your hearing the injectors pulsing...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    The fuel injectors on pretty much all Subarus in general are louder than some other cars also..at least from my experience.... Perhaps your hearing the injectors pulsing...
    Yeah, injectors too, just like my 4runner, although the Sub is louder.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Oil FAQ: Read if you want more information on oil, oil filters, and oil changes! - NASIOC

Yeah... i figured it sounded like a combination of valve train and injector noise...

thanks for the link
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.