Is my turbo bad?

This is a discussion on Is my turbo bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hit a deer with my WRX ('02) in October, and it's been in the shop every since. The body ...

Is my turbo bad?

I hit a deer with my WRX ('02) in October, and it's been in the shop every since. The body was fixed, the engine has been gone through. Upon driving the car out of the body shop, i noticed a noise when i accelerated. It almost sounded like a belt squealing. So, i drove it straight back to the subaru dealer. After they looked at it/drove it, they said the turbo is going out. They also told me the car was OK to drive back home, so i did. Now, rather than hearing the "squealing" noise during acceleration, i hear it even when idling. I need clarification!! (Also, I have stopped driving the car until I decide what exactly is causing the noise.) Could this be something that will cause extensive engine damage if ignored? I know it's prob a silly question, but i'm relatively new to my WRX. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If a subaru dealer told you the turbo was bad... Your turbo is bad. I wouldnt drive the car until it is fixed.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Well, honestly, i have little faith in this dealer. When the car was in there for the deer damage, he said that there had been modifications made to the engine internals and he didn't know what to suggest to replace them with (I bought the car modified, but to what extent, i don't know.) I just didn't get a comforting feeling about the whole thing. Luckily for me, the turbo SHOULD be covered by my insurance claim from the deer. I guess my next post will be what turbo to buy.

how bad was your deer damage that they had to tear down the engine? it would take on hell of an impact for the deer to get near the turbo. i cant see the two things being related.
    '04 Aspen White WRX

True, but the deer was only part of the damage. Once the body shop repaired their part, they were going to drive it to the dealer to have a couple of cosmetic parts put on. I got a call asking if my car ran poorly when i hit the deer (it didn't). The verdict was that the timing was badly off and the car was driven about 60 miles in that condition. That is why they had the engine torn down. It only stemmed from hitting the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    If a subaru dealer told you the turbo was bad... Your turbo is bad. I wouldnt drive the car until it is fixed.
    Well let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's face it, there are dealers out there that aren't too knowledgable about their OWN brand they are selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by beverett82 View Post
    The body was fixed, the engine has been gone through. Upon driving the car out of the body shop, i noticed a noise when i accelerated.
    What do you mean by "engine has been gone through"? Do you mean inspected or fixed? If the shop actually worked on something engine related, you should probably take it up with them.
    It almost sounded like a belt squealing. So, i drove it straight back to the subaru dealer. After they looked at it/drove it, they said the turbo is going out. They also told me the car was OK to drive back home, so i did. Now, rather than hearing the "squealing" noise during acceleration, i hear it even when idling. I need clarification!! Also, I have stopped driving the car until I decide what exactly is causing the noise.) Could this be something that will cause extensive engine damage if ignored? I know it's prob a silly question, but i'm relatively new to my WRX. Thanks
    It could cause extensive damage, seeing as you don't know exactly what's going on. Cheapest thing you could probably do now is inspect the belts seeing as you said it sounds like a belt squeal.

Did you notice anything out of the norm when you started hearing the noise (ie: loss of power, electrical components losing power, steering feeling heavy, coolant temps rising etc)?
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

No, everything felt ok with the car. By looking at the copy of the bill I got, the car got new valves/springs, seals. Once i heard the noise, I babied it to the shop, then babied it back home, where it hasn't moved (and won't until I figure something out.) Like I mentioned earlier, I'm still new to my wrx, so I'm still learning. I just don't want to run the risk of damaging anything.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The simple fact that they said you could drive on a shot turbo making noise = never go back IMO.

Moved to General Maintenance & Troubleshooting
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

It's been a while since I have posted on this thread. I FINALLY got my car back last Wednesday (From hitting a deer in October.) Here is what I am noticing.. The noise that the Subaru dealer claimed was the turbo going bad is still the same as it was before (*i have a brand new turbo on the car now). From what i have found in other threads, it sounds like maybe a bad gasket from up-pipe? In any case, I need to figure out where the noise is coming from soon so the insurance co. will cover it. Other than the noise, the car runs/drives just fine, boost levels are normal, etc. It's just annoying to hear that squeal noise. If at all possible, I would like to make this repair myself, since there is literally NO ONE near by I would consider qualified to work on a WRX. At best, I would have to drive 2 1/2 hrs. to find a good shop.