2005 WRX Climate Control Problem

This is a discussion on 2005 WRX Climate Control Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My Climate Control is cooking me alive. Even when I turn it off hot air comes out of the dash ...

2005 WRX Climate Control Problem

My Climate Control is cooking me alive. Even when I turn it off hot air comes out of the dash vents. Turning off the outside air helps but then I fog up. When the AC is on it tries to cool the hot air but the heat wins. I have to drive with the windows open or I will pass out. Is this a heater valve or sensor problem. Please help me troubleshoot this problem so I can drive this summer. Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? So when you turn temp selector all the way to the blue it still blows HOT air? Even with the AC on? Is your compressor kicking on when you switch on defrost or AC? Is this a manual or EATC system? Just a shot from the hip from the information you have provided...I'm thinking two things....perhaps the climate control head is bad or perhaps the blend door is stuck/cable broke or came off....

It is a automatic control with degree settings. AC compressor kicks on and tries to cool. Fresh air is hot when climate control is off. I appreciate your help. Oh around 90,000 miles.

So even when the temp is turned all the way down and the AC is on the incoming air is hot? How about with the temp turned all the way down and the AC off..is the incoming air still hot? with the blower motor on 3 or 4 of course...I'm thinking perhaps the blend door is stuck or the climate control head has a problem...Have you had any recent maintenance performed on the vehicle such as cooling system service/work?

It's hot whether it's on or off, up or down. If I kill all air flow by turning off the outside air it's not as hot only because there is no air flow but then I fog up. The only service was that I changed out the antifreeze with oem. This started happening a few months later.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    ...I'm thinking perhaps the blend door is stuck/cable came off or the climate control head has a problem...

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by nervrek View Post
    Thanks again
    No prob. man...thats a shot from the hip from the information you have provided...as you know its extremely difficult to accurately diag. things over the internet fore I cannot see or touch the car...hope you get it figured out and if you have any more problems/questions don't hesitate to pop a thread up or PM me and I will do my best to assist you...

Any fix for this issue yet? My roommates STI does the same thing and I would rather not rip the dash apart until I have the part in hand. Thanks

Heat Fix

It was the Mix door actuator. All you have to do is remove the glovebox and it's right there.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna tear into it tomorrow. We'll see how much trouble I get into, I also have to re-do the best buy stereo installation that is falling apart.

Cabin Air Filter

It would be a good idea to clean or replace the cabin air filter since you will have the glove box out. Good Luck.