60000 mile service? TIming Belt?

This is a discussion on 60000 mile service? TIming Belt? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I have an 04 WRX and I'm 200 miles shy of 60,000 miles. The other day I had an ...

60000 mile service? TIming Belt?

Hey,
    I have an 04 WRX and I'm 200 miles shy of 60,000 miles.

The other day I had an issue with my car not starting. The electrics and starter where good. I believe I heard the fuel pump cycle or something when I put the key in and turned on the electics. But when I would go to start, the starter would just wine away and the engine wouldn't kick over. Anyways, after a tow to my local mechanic and then back home, it started working again. My local mechanic thought the timing belt must be gone, or something internal and suggested I should go to a Subaru dealership. I called him up to ask WTF? did he do anything, and he thinks the last tow truck must have bumped the car enough to either release a plug in the fuel line or some other issue with the fuel pump....

So anyways, I've been looking at the manual and it says at 60,000 the timing belt should be inspected. When I called my local Subaru dealership they suggested I get a full 100,000 miles service. Which is around $900.00. They do the timing belt and all of the fluids.... i thought that seemed excesive. I could understand getting the timing belt done which is around 500 - 600, but why does the manual say inspection at 60k and replace at 100k and the dealer says replace?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had their dealership suggest the same level of service at 60K?

thanks,
    DorBink

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah...no. The dealership may suggest the 100,000 mile service, but it's only to get that money out of you. Don't do it until you have to. It's not your timing belt because it wouldn't have started up that one time and stop again.

As for your starting problem, is there a check engine code at all? It sounds to me like it's a starter problem. Though it's not common for the starter motor to go out that fast, it's not outside the realm of possibility, I'd take it out and take it to get it checked at Autozone or Checker/O'Reilly's. Also, get your battery checked and check operation of your fuel pump.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

The service says to inspect the belt at 60k because your supposed to inspect for cracks odd wear and tare make sure it will be good for another 40k. If all checks out at 100k you get it replaced... You dont need the 100k service. You may need the belt replaced but not a full 100k

What do you mean the starter whined but the engine didnt crank? You mean the engine didnt start? or the engine isnt turning over? I read that and see the motor not turning over which leads me to bleieve its a starer gear/ shim / flywheel issue.

He thinks the tow truck bumped the fuel line? How is that? If you have an issue with your fuel line or pump and the motor doesnt get fuel then that will not let the motor start...

Do you have any engine codes? engine light etc etc etc
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Hey,
    My engine light was on but for my Cat. The first thing I did was grab my scanner, since I haven't cleared the Cat code for a while. But nope nothing there.

As for the "whining" starter, i just meant the starter was working. I could hear it and it sounded normal, but the engine would not kick over.

As for the tow truck "bump". The mechanic claims, he's seen and heard of people getting towed and they believe the jarring action of the tow truck lifting or bumping the car. Can have an affect on the fuel lines or pump... IE: if there is a something blocking it etc etc... (I'm not saying I totaly believe this)

My battery seemed fine, wind shield wipers worked normal, stereo was good, all the lights were bright.. so no diming.. I even went as far as giving it a boost from my truck and that didn't get it started. So I ruled out an electric problem based on that.

I was half tempted to take it in to get the timing belt replaced now and not do the full 100K service as they suggested. I'm kinda thinking, it would be good to have it done and not half to worry about it.

Thoughts?

Have your belt inspected... What leads you to believe you need a new one? Your mechanic? If the belt shows signs it needs to be replaced then replace it... Other wise dont worry about it until your closer to 100k...

Your timing belt wouldnt cause the starter to jsut spin and not let the motor turn over. Thats more of a stater / electrical issue...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Have your belt inspected... What leads you to believe you need a new one? Your mechanic? If the belt shows signs it needs to be replaced then replace it... Other wise dont worry about it until your closer to 100k...

Your timing belt wouldnt cause the starter to jsut spin and not let the motor turn over. Thats more of a stater / electrical issue...
    Yeah, I think that is what I'm going to get done. I'm assuming this is just labour to get this done. Any one have an idea of the cost? or time for a mechanic to do this?

Just to close this out.
    I had the inspection done on the belt and it was fine, other then some slack. The checked the tensioners and they were fine, but couldn't do any thing about the extra slack. The technician "recommended" the timing belt still be changed, since he was already looking at it and it wasn't any extra time. So for the extra $88 I got a new belt put on.

But for the no start. The technician thought the fuel filter looked to still be original and the likely culprit. So they changed that for around $95 incl parts and labour.

Drive home was awesome. I really think the fuel filter was plugged cause there is definetly some extra spunk when I put it down. It must have been dwindling away slowly and i didn't realise it....