Ecu Fried?

This is a discussion on Ecu Fried? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so heres my situation, was driving home from work. Nothing crazy just crusing around 3000rpms in 4th gear still ...

Unhappy Ecu Fried?

Ok so heres my situation, was driving home from work. Nothing crazy just crusing around 3000rpms in 4th gear still in vaccum. All the sudden the car completely shuts off and all the lights light up on the dash. I pulled the car to the side and tried turning the engine over. Nothing, absolutely no ignition. The engine turns over fine and doesnt make any noise thats out of place, it just doesn't start . I noticed the check engine light no longer lights up before start up, test mode does not work nor does it cycle the rad. fans and fuel pump when I connect the green connector. The fuel pump also doesn't come on when I turn the key to the on position in regular mode. This is on a 2002 WRX with stock boost, has a aem intake, and 2.5" catless turbo back exhaust. I also drove it in heavy rain for the first time since Ive owned it today so maybe that could have something to do with it? Just need help trying to diagnose my problem, I do have a VAG COM cable that reads and logs the ecu but can no way modify it, could I possibly use that to diagnose if the ECU is bad or not, any help will be appreciated I need to get to work! thanks!

-Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would be highly amazed if the ECU was fried, but anything can happen. I would think its just an electrical problem. Check your accessory belts and battery voltage first. Then get the battery load tested. Also check the big fuses in the black power distribution box by the battery.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

alright Ill start with that, I kind of doubt the battery, My turbo timer is hooked up to read voltage and Ive never had it dip below 12.5. I actually might just take out the timer haha It could be causing the problem. Either way I need to get my car back to my house so I can actually work on it Ill let you know

Ecu Problem fixed, but headlights dont work now.

well damn......I pretty much figured out the cause of the problem, some how my HID wiring came lose from its splicing and was grounding out on the frame, causing the efi fuse to blow everytime I turned on the headlights. I was able to situate the wiring so it wasnt touching the frame and I also removed the turbo timer because of the previous owners mistake of installing it incorrectly. So the car runs without blowing a fuse, sweet.....but my headlights not longer work even after putting all the wiring back. Its really weird to be honest, illumination, parking lights and blinkers work just fine. But the only time i can get the headlight relays to click are when I pull the signal cluster towards myself like Im flashing someone, but in the high beam position(towards the intrument cluster) they do not work along with it in the regular low beam position, Im not getting any relay clicking and I checked both the fuses in the black box under the hood. How many relays does the headlights have and where are they located? Can I possibly get a wiring diagram of the whole headlight setup just incase it might be something worse like shorted out wires. If anyone could hook it up with some info it would be greatly appreciated.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

thanks a lot man, I've been searching all morning for those, that'll make this job a lot eaiser. I think I missed that 30a fuse, Ill be sure to check it along with all the relays, and from the looks of the diagram these HID's were wired wrong. Ill give updates on my progress thanks again.