Crappy gas mileage

This is a discussion on Crappy gas mileage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey i got an 08 sti and since ive purchased it ive noticed the mpg has decreased and doesnt seem ...

Crappy gas mileage

Hey i got an 08 sti and since ive purchased it ive noticed the mpg has decreased and doesnt seem to be improving...any suggestions on maybe tryin to raise this?

i bought the car with just over 12,000 on it and have put another 10,000 since, could it need a tune up or something like that as i do not know if the original owner ever did anything like that or not...its also stock at the moment

Any help would be great
    - 08 STI
    - 91 mustang 347 stroker

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You STi doesnt need a "tune up" untill 60k... but first off what do you consider poor MPG?
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

How are you calculating the gas mileage?
    What kind of results are you seeing?

60k alright ya i wasnt sure on anything like that really...well when i 1st got the car it averaged anywhere from like 18-20 now it wont ever stay above 18 for the life of it and thats still in I mode right now its been on like 16. something for like a month...ive also heard it take awhile for the computer or w/e it is to calculate it back to what it is after gettin on it alot but after running numerous # of tanks through it and really no diffrence
    - 08 STI
    - 91 mustang 347 stroker

Have you changed anything on the STi? Started warming it up before you drive with the winter weather?
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

i usally wait like atleast a min b4 driving off but sometimes i just get in start up and go cause im in a hurry..but ive read that doing that wouldnt have any effect on the motor as long as your not boosting high or at all till its warmed up
    - 08 STI
    - 91 mustang 347 stroker

I was just thinking if you started letting it warm up for 15 minutes before you drive or something. but 16 MPG doesnt seem right... Did you change gas type? go to a lower octane?

Something would have changed for you to drop to 16 MPG... Something as simple as driving habbits would do it... Take advantage of that warranty and haver her looked at..

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

I Support ClubWRX
    Change in tire pressure can cause poor gas milage as can poor driving habits. Run you tire pressure 2-4psi higher than recommended and stay out of boost. Letting a car warm up 15 minutes before you drive it would be an extreme waste of gas and would cause your mileage to drop.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

^ i had to have the dealer re program the TPS unit. I was running 45-47 psi the TPS range on 08+ is like 32-38 ish and touchy... Go to high and that dash light blinks at you all day. I figured if he had low pressure the idiot light on the dash would have let him know... May be an option for the OP to have his dealer do also..

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY