Odd Noise....any ideas what is causing it???

This is a discussion on Odd Noise....any ideas what is causing it??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a 03 wrx. It drives nice and everything but every now and then there is an odd noise ...

Exclamation Odd Noise....any ideas what is causing it???

I own a 03 wrx. It drives nice and everything but every now and then there is an odd noise that is hard to describe but it is like a metallic rumble.It makes this noise mostly when i am in third and fourth gear, and it only does it when i am in gear and am coasting fast(using my gears to help slow me down)...when i give it any gas the noise goes away. I first thought that it might be a wheel bearing but I really have no idea at what is causing it, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Possibly something to do with your drivetrain. When you step on the gas your taking slack out of the drivetrain... When there is slack from the sound of it is when your hearing the noise. Because its happening in all gears im going to say maybe the diffs?

Its hard to diagnose something like this with out more information or being able to hear the noise... Do you at least have a general idea where its coming from? Front rear? Center? Do you feel it in your shifter? Or steering wheel? Any problems shifting going into gear? check your fluid levels lately? We have to start somewhere other then i have a noise its odd I cant describe it what could it be?
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Thanks for the help! its hard to tell where it is coming from because of how it sounds...its a weird rumble, however i think it may be coming from the front center? ill check the fluids, now that i think about it, it has been a while since they were checked. i don t really feel the rumble anywhere in my car. when the sound first started i wanted to say it was a throughout bearing,but then i thought about it and i don't think it could be that because of the randomness that the sound comes.... but me being the n00b i am...i really have no idea lol im going to be looking into it and maybe try to find a better way to explain it to people. any other ideas would be awesome! Thanks!

Well im pretty sure its something in your drive train. You say it happens when your in gear and it goes away when your on the gas. This tells me something with the transmission. If it was a throw out bearing it would go away when you have the clutch depressed, it would make the sound in neutral at idle and change or get faster when you raise the RPM's...

It could be something with the clutch or pressure plate.. Broken springs can cause odd rumbles but these are usually heard on take off and you can feel it in the car...

The fact that you only hear the noise and do not feel it is a little odd...

If it was something else in the drivetrain like diffs the noise wouldnt change with the gear changes. It would get louder or softer depending on the actual speed of the car.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Thumbs up

yeah the only thing i can think of that might help a little more is if i go drive and find a better way of describing it. its tough to describe though. ill try my best. thanks for the help man.

Look for metal shavings in your tranny fluid. That would be worst case but at least it would narrow things down.

I wish I could drive it for ya man. You can always take it to your local dealer and have em diagnose it. At least then you know what it is. Thats better then not knowing and it be something serious and you make it worse or damage more parts. The dealer usually charges for diagnoses, however if you have a local shop you trust, they will diagnose for free usually in hopes you will have them repair it..

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY