Knock then no start - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Knock then no start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 06ImprezaWRXSTI Yes, timing is really important. Just being one teeth off the mark could cause some major ...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06ImprezaWRXSTI View Post
    Yes, timing is really important. Just being one teeth off the mark could cause some major engine problems.
    I believe Subaru's tolerance is within 2 teeth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post

A skipped timing belt wouldn't make a noise
    It does when you turn the car over and the valves make contact with the piston. All depends on how far it skipped. Seen it my self on an older Impreza..........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    It does when you turn the car over and the valves make contact with the piston. All depends on how far it skipped. Seen it my self on an older Impreza..........
    Nope. I run a salvage yard. I get hundreds of cars with snapped timing belts a year, and have had countless ones snap on me while testing engines. It's a very silent affair, and the valves barely kiss the pistons, normally just canting them over just enough that they don't seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    +1^...All depends on what happens exactly when it snaps..and what type of vehicle I suppose...Because Ive sure as hell heard Subarus jump time before and it makes a god awful noise..on the Phase 1 DOHC EJ25's at least...Than again my EJ22 jumped and I didnt hear anything...

I Support ClubWRX
    I have heard of them skipping the belt and making piston/valve contact noise but have never seen it myself. Also if the tensioner is loose the belt hits the covers and can sound like internal damage supposedly. It sounds like the coolant & oil issue was unrelated.

I don't really have an opinion myself but I really don't see the harm in taking off the covers and having a look before you tear down the engine assuming it is internal damage. Just saying because most of the people who posted consistently provide reasonable and helpful advise - I think their input in general is quite valuable to the forum.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

I don't really have an opinion myself but I really don't see the harm in taking off the covers and having a look before you tear down the engine assuming it is internal damage. Just saying because most of the people who posted consistently provide reasonable and helpful advise - I think their input in general is quite valuable to the forum.
    Thanks... If I'm included that is...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Thanks... If I'm included that is...

J/K - You work on subies for a living right? Most techs. don't take the time and effort to try to help people out online.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

J/K - You work on subies for a living right? Most techs. don't take the time and effort to try to help people out online.
    Yeah man..I'm a tech for MS Subaru down here in Delaware..I learn a lot on this site about mods and such..so Kudos for keeping this site alive...not to get too "off topic" or anything...

Finally had time to look at the car last night and the timing is waaay off. More than a couple of teeth.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for updating, I was curious how this was going to pan out.

Hope everything is Okay when you get it lined back up.

I plan on buying a new tensioner and idlers along with a new belt and replacing the water pump as long as I'm in there and hoping for the best.

hi i kinda had the same probs with my scooby it dropped power while driving with NO knocking noise though just a bit of black smoke got it home at 5mph started up the following day now just turning over but no start. this is my 1st scooby its a wrx sti version3 97 been on diagonistic machine came up with nothing been told by machanic may have jumped 2 teeth on cambelt but im not sure wat the timing belt marks are surpose to be set at does any one know how to get the diagram for this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12