wastegate solinoid problem
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on wastegate solinoid problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok i have a 07 wrx spearco intercooler mbc vibrant exgaust spt intake exc..car runs great i have the mbc ...

Question wastegate solinoid problem

ok i have a 07 wrx spearco intercooler mbc vibrant exgaust spt intake exc..car runs great i have the mbc set at 15.from start it stays max 15..when cruzing at 50-60 and punched it will creep up to 17 ish and throw a code for the waste gate soleniod..i duno if its maxing out is there a way to fix it as to where i can achevie 17 psi safley with no code or any opyions or idea's???i havent seen this soloniod though i search for it and researched for a replacement just to cheack it out no luck..would it help to delete the mbc and tune the pill and wastegate for psi level i want..??im fairly mechanicl but im kinda stumpd here..also whats the max you would go on stock internals as far as turbo,fuel,and tuneing upgrades..thanks folks......aint nothin like a subaru

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikienmb05 View Post
    ok i have a 07 wrx spearco intercooler mbc vibrant exgaust spt intake exc..car runs great i have the mbc set at 15.from start it stays max 15..when cruzing at 50-60 and punched it will creep up to 17 ish and throw a code for the waste gate soleniod..i duno if its maxing out is there a way to fix it as to where i can achevie 17 psi safley with no code or any opyions or idea's???i havent seen this soloniod though i search for it and researched for a replacement just to cheack it out no luck..would it help to delete the mbc and tune the pill and wastegate for psi level i want..??im fairly mechanicl but im kinda stumpd here..also whats the max you would go on stock internals as far as turbo,fuel,and tuneing upgrades..thanks folks......aint nothin like a subaru
    Your most likely getting "boost creep". Does the exhaust include a downpipe and does it have a cat?

Regardless, you must remove the MBC and re-install the stock system with the regular restrictor pill unless you have a custom tune for the MBC. Get a map appropriate for your mods and flash it to your car (stage I or II depending on the DP). This will allow your ECU to safely target a higher boost level with appropriate fueling and timing for the higher load ranges and correct wastegate duty cycles for the decreased backpressure. If that doesn't solve your issues consider a highflow cat in the DP (if it doesn't have one) or better yet get your wastegate ported. You can tell if it is the wastegate itself by running the line directly from your turbo to your wastegate actuator with no restrictor - if it still climbs above spring pressure (~8PSI) then it is a mechanical issue and porting is indicated.

Here is a good read:
    CobbTuning.com - How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works

Boost creep / fuel cut

Boost Control FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-17-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

wasgate solenoid

yep sounds like fuel cut...ok so it would be better to remove mbc..port wastegate..tune wastegate with aucuator rod to my psi..jet pill to .43 or higher..would this be ok..or would a port and ebc be ok..is the tune required you think..stock boost was 11+psi i think.all i want is 15 to 17 psi...also if i upgrade turbos tunes exc in future..whats the biggest turbo would go on stock internals..20g+ 750cc+???

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes remove the MBC - you cannot run that without a custom tune for a bunch of reasons. Use the amazing power of your ECU to control boost by getting a staged map or etune for now. It is only going to run you around $300-400 to get the cable and map. Click that last link I posted.

Do not muck with the restrictor pill and wastegate. Those are not used to force a higher boost (you would get horrible results). Use either the stock setup with a new map or use a three port GM style but then you absolutely must get a custom map. Then you can decide if the wastegate or restrictor needs any adjustment based on how your car responds to the new map.

As far as the creep, it is a good chance it is just because you are completely untuned for your mods. Look at it again after you get the other stuff straight or do as I said above and run straight from the turbo to the actuator to see if it still creeps without the MBC or BCS involved.

ok

ok so undo the mbc.and get a ecu tune it will raise my boost levels correctly and possible stop boost??ok i think it runs from the intake pipe to mbc to auctator..so do a solid hose in place with pill inside... i dont think it has the wastegate solinoid any longer i bought the car used as it sits...duno if the pill is even there any longer..i had to redo a buncha lines t's bov ypipe and pipes exc..is there anything more resonable than cobb access port you no of i would like to keep a stock tune option or a lesser option for day to day..thanks for all of the great help..

ok

did the mbc replace the waste gate solenoid..and if removed i can replace with a 3 port and a tune i found a direct replacement from grimmspeed fitment same as oem..the ecu tune would control this 3 port opyion correct and if i go 3 port will i still need the pill

ok

ok will run the test b4 going futher to cheack the auctuator...then figure out wether to try to hunt down all the stock soleniods and pill or go 3 port and ecu tune...either will help right

last ?

the rom raider software is run on a laptop from a cable pluged in the scanner port to a usb in the com correct

I Support ClubWRX
    ok so undo the mbc.and get a ecu tune it will raise my boost levels correctly and possible stop boost??ok i think it runs from the intake pipe to mbc to auctator..so do a solid hose in place with pill inside... i dont think it has the wastegate solinoid any longer i bought the car used as it sits...duno if the pill is even there any longer..i had to redo a buncha lines t's bov ypipe and pipes exc..is there anything more resonable than cobb access port you no of i would like to keep a stock tune option or a lesser option for day to day..thanks for all of the great help..
    This is correct, the ECU will up the boost with a different map.

Yes, the Opensource tuning with a cable and lab top is cheaper than cobb. You can save your stock map before you start and put it back anytime. You can get the cable for $200 and a map for $100 - you can also get someone to help you adjust the map by logging with the cable (etune, see 555motorsports.com). The boost control solenoid is probably still there but not hooked up, pill is probably gone.

did the mbc replace the waste gate solenoid..and if removed i can replace with a 3 port and a tune i found a direct replacement from grimmspeed fitment same as oem..the ecu tune would control this 3 port opyion correct and if i go 3 port will i still need the pill
    I have never run a MBC so I am not 100% sure but I don't think the boost control solenoid is still hooked up. I am planning to install the grimmspeed myself and it is a great option. I do not think it uses the pill (90% sure). It will require a map that is correct for it then the ECU will run it fine.

ok will run the test b4 going futher to cheack the auctuator...then figure out wether to try to hunt down all the stock soleniods and pill or go 3 port and ecu tune...either will help right
    3 port and a tune is the best option regardless. If it fails this test it is a strictly mechanical issue due to the size of the wastegate and the lack of any cat. then no tune will solve it. You would have to get a cat in the DP, port the wastegate, or upgrade the turbo (requires injectors, Fuel pump, TMIC). You still need something other than a MBC to control boost unless you are tuned for it. Keeping the MBC instead will require taking it in to a tuner (no etune etc.).

the rom raider software is run on a laptop from a cable pluged in the scanner port to a usb in the com correct
    Yes, that is a good way to load the new map(s) and is the best way for logging to verify everything is safe with the new tune.
    Last edited by mycologist; 01-17-2010 at 12:27 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    I have never run a MBC so I am not 100% sure but I don't think the boost control solenoid is still hooked up. I am planning to install the grimmspeed myself and it is a great option. I do not think it uses the pill (90% sure). It will require a map that is correct for it then the ECU will run it fine.
    Unless they're running a hybrid boost control system (BCS/MBC), there will be no BCS. With the Grimmspeed BCS, you remove the restricter pill - if you don't, you'll boost extremely high.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

where??

ok i tested the wastegate its fine searched and searched for the wastegate soleniod i cant seem to locate it do you by chance no where to look theres a lot packed in there..???ive downloaded the software and some maps???will soon be get the grimmspeed and a lab top found the wire a lil under 200 like you stated..its a Tactrix:OpenPort2.0..with the falsh connect exc..this would work right...

I Support ClubWRX
    ok i tested the wastegate its fine searched and searched for the wastegate soleniod i cant seem to locate it do you by chance no where to look theres a lot packed in there..???ive downloaded the software and some maps???will soon be get the grimmspeed and a lab top found the wire a lil under 200 like you stated..its a Tactrix:OpenPort2.0..with the falsh connect exc..this would work right...
    Sounds good. Just be aware that if you downloaded a free map it is highly recommended to log it and make sure it is safe. Also, the same maps won't work with the Grimmspeed if they are for the stock BCS. 555motorsports or XPT tuning etc. can help with the mapping for ~100-150. Be very careful you know exactly what you are doing if you mess with the map yourself.

The stock BCS hides under that plastic cover behind the airbox - see the first pic here:
    Full DIY: GM solenoid install (56k warning) - NASIOC

Sounds like you are on your way to a much happier car

yep

ok i seen it didnt know thats what it was one hose is connected and the other isnt.as for the maps i have a fella who builds and races multi apps.ima see what he thinks first then if i nd ill hit up the 555sports..you have been a super help...im so very grateful..
    plan is 20g 750cc perrin fuel rail walboro pump grimmspeed bcs
    rom raider open prot 2.0 fly wheel clutch and a tune sh0uld be fast..!!! makeing 280+whp now..setup completely incorrectly

I Support ClubWRX
    ok i seen it didnt know thats what it was one hose is connected and the other isnt.as for the maps i have a fella who builds and races multi apps.ima see what he thinks first then if i nd ill hit up the 555sports..you have been a super help...im so very grateful..
    plan is 20g 750cc perrin fuel rail walboro pump grimmspeed bcs
    rom raider open prot 2.0 fly wheel clutch and a tune sh0uld be fast..!!! makeing 280+whp now..setup completely incorrectly
    No problem, glad to help

Sounds good, don't forget a big huge TMIC when you do the turbo. No need for the rail - look up "parallel fuel mod" if anything.

ill cheack that mod out when i get there...i have a tmic a spearco things like 1000 on ebay think its good for 400 hp give or take

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast