Loss of power issue?? Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Loss of power issue?? Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 2002 wrx with 108k 3inch exhaust j-spec turbo blow off valve ect... ive been driving it with ...

Loss of power issue?? Help

i have a 2002 wrx with 108k 3inch exhaust j-spec turbo blow off valve ect... ive been driving it with the check engine light on for about a month or so, its the o2 sensor bank 1, anyway i was driving it last night and as i was entering the highway i stepped on it alittle an noticed the car shook alittle and didnt have the power it always does. now today everytime i step on it hard it shakes and just seems like the motor isnt running at top performance when petal to floor. the car runs fine and drives fine unless you hammer on it. it never done this before think the o2 sensor would affect it? or do i have other issues? the turbo boost is fine, and the tranny shifts perfect.any help would be great!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is the exhaust a turbo back/ cat back?? catless/catted?? stock up pipe? What other mods are on the car? the front o2 sensor def. has the potential to cause this...
    Also as a side note...personally I would remove the aftermarket BOV unless of course your running anything over say 20-25 PSI...

I Support ClubWRX
    List all performance mods....................
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Is the exhaust a turbo back/ cat back?? catless/catted?? stock up pipe? What other mods are on the car? the front o2 sensor def. has the potential to cause this...
    Also as a side note...personally I would remove the aftermarket BOV unless of course your running anything over say 20-25 PSI...
    its got a intake, 3inch turbo back exhaust, blow off valve, stock jap spec turbo, otherwise stock motor. the car bucks when i hammer it, if i take it easy and bring the rpm's up runs great but as soon as i give it alittle too much pettal it bucks and losses power throughout the rpms. it ran fine all the way up till last night then today it just isnt what it usedto be.

oh ya its got a utec fuel computer, set on stock mode though

I Support ClubWRX
    Depending on the intake,it could be the problem.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Depending on the intake,it could be the problem.
    why??? the car ran mint for years. the check engine light came on a month ago and the o2 sensor bank 1 is causing the check engine light, but now the car bucks when i floor it or go more then 3/4 pettal. what the heck does that have to do with the intake? the intake is over 3 years old and its clean and nothing wrong with it.

I realize this might seem odd, but how cold is it where you are?

Does the problem get worse when the car is warmed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    I realize this might seem odd, but how cold is it where you are?

Does the problem get worse when the car is warmed up?
    yesterday 40's before that like 20's it seems to happend all the time no matter what temp, i even reset the computer and tired that but the check engine light came right back on so im not sure but the car runs great till you try to go fast. i could baby it all day and not even notice it but once that z4 bmw pulls up next to me at the light it was nothing but bucking and loss of power....got smoked

There is a fuel line which has a recall for all 2002 WRX Imprezas. It states there is a possibility of seepage under pressure during cold weather driving. Do you hear a whining sound, or an electronic buzz type of sound under throttle?

If you have this issue, SOA will repair it free of charge, replacing the faulty fuel line.

A lack of fuel definitely equals a lack of power.

Also, have you checked your plugs recently? I know it is a tough job, but cyl3's plug gets fouled pretty easily, especially with a hot turbo.

I would inspect plugs, and take a swing by your local Subaru dealer, and speak to the service tech. Be confident. Imprezas are durable and reliable cars.

i was googling someone said that a bad o2 sensor would make it run richer then lean, and if u unplug it the car will run richer??? is this true? also i have a air/fuel guage its always on lean when i hit the gas shouldnt it be on rich when u floor it??? my o2 is bad the bank 1 should i unplug it or just wait til it comes in and replace it and hope this bucking goes away which im not too sure about cuz the car ran fine before.

There is a fuel line which has a recall for all 2002 WRX Imprezas. It states there is a possibility of seepage under pressure during cold weather driving. Do you hear a whining sound, or an electronic buzz type of sound under throttle?

If you have this issue, SOA will repair it free of charge, replacing the faulty fuel line.

A lack of fuel definitely equals a lack of power.

Also, have you checked your plugs recently? I know it is a tough job, but cyl3's plug gets fouled pretty easily, especially with a hot turbo.

I would inspect plugs, and take a swing by your local Subaru dealer, and speak to the service tech. Be confident. Imprezas are durable and reliable cars.
    i do smell alittle fuel when its cold always had for a long time nothin much thou. i still dont think its that id be leaning to the plugs more then the fuel. how hard is it to change the plugs i noticed its no honda here..

Quote Originally Posted by jcwrx02 View Post
    i do smell alittle fuel when its cold always had for a long time nothin much thou. i still dont think its that id be leaning to the plugs more then the fuel. how hard is it to change the plugs i noticed its no honda here..
    Plugs are a J-O-B on the boxer engine.

NASIOC has an awesome write-up.

If you smell fuel, there you go. Holy mackeral dude... that would be the best clue there is. And it sounds like you have the leaky line so bad it is coding for repair.

Take it in and get the line replaced. It's free, takes 2 hours, and will save you a pain in the end. You also get to leave the dealership in a faster car then you came in with. One that is less likely to kill you, also.

Plugs are a J-O-B on the boxer engine.

NASIOC has an awesome write-up.

If you smell fuel, there you go. Holy mackeral dude... that would be the best clue there is. And it sounds like you have the leaky line so bad it is coding for repair.

Take it in and get the line replaced. It's free, takes 2 hours, and will save you a pain in the end. You also get to leave the dealership in a faster car then you came in with. One that is less likely to kill you, also.
    its not allot just when the car is cold i smell a tiny tiny bit, once warm dont smell it at all. been doing it for years i dont think it has anything to do with the o2 senor and the bucking though.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwrx02 View Post
    its not allot just when the car is cold i smell a tiny tiny bit, once warm dont smell it at all. been doing it for years i dont think it has anything to do with the o2 senor and the bucking though.
    You are answering your own question. You tried to race a BMW after years of unattended fuel leakage.

Take it to the Subaru Technician's desk, and get your fuel line fixed.

Again, it is paid for by Subaru of America, they will GIVE you the part for FREE, and install it for you for FREE.
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 01-17-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast