??What oil should I use?? - Page 7
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Its an 03... so no warranty left... :P plus... subaru does not like my modded car not that i've ever ...

Its an 03... so no warranty left... :P plus... subaru does not like my modded car not that i've ever tried but Im guessingg they'll not from what i've heard...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have used M1 0W-40 Euro and 5W-40 Turbodiesel Truck as well as 5W-40 Shell Rotella T6.

Pick one (I'd go with whichever oil is used less by the motor, to minimize oil consumption) and run it year-round if you see ambient temperatures from -20 to +45C.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I live in Ohio, so the average temperature is prob any place from -10C to 0 during the winter. I am using the M1 right now, what kind of mileage should I let it go to? Is it pretty good stuff?

I Support ClubWRX
    Either the 5W-40 or the 0W-40 should be fine at -10C.

To find out truly how long your oil change intervals can be, change the oil. Run the oil for an average current interval, then change it again with the same oil. Now run that oil for the interval you would like to test, and when you've completed that distance, send a sample to a lab for analysis. Blackstone labs is a good choice for analyses.

My car usually sees temperatures from +10 to +45 and when I tested the 5W-40 turbodiesel Mobil1, it looked great at 5500 miles and I could have easily gone to 7500, the maximum recommended interval by the manufacturer. However, I didn't guess; I generated data. That's the way to go: data.

Mobil1 is a perfectly adequate oil, as are almost all modern widely distributed products from what I've seen. I do not hesitate to use it.

Since your temperatures are more extreme than mine, you cannot rely on data from my motor. Either find someone that has data from a motor that sees use patterns just like yours, or generate your own data. Or simply follow the owner's manual.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for your help/Advice!

I've been taking my 2009 WRX to my local dealer for oil changes since I bought it. It currently has 24,XXX miles, and the dealer has been using Shell semi-synthetic from day 1. However, I can't find a retail source for this oil. What should I use when my warrantee is up next Spring?

I'm considering Shell Rotella T5 5W-30. I live in Tucson, AZ.

Thanks,
    Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

? which one ?

here i am i currently hown 2011 wrx and its about 7 mounth old havent have any oil change sice got it. i currenly have abouth 4700 mile on it, so i am thinking give a oil change on 5000 . my question is what brand u guys raccomand to use? or should i just use subaru brand oil

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru oil is good oil, I'd use a genuine oil filter as well. I personally use oem Subaru oil filter with redline 5/30

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I've been taking my 2009 WRX to my local dealer for oil changes since I bought it. It currently has 24,XXX miles, and the dealer has been using Shell semi-synthetic from day 1. However, I can't find a retail source for this oil. What should I use when my warrantee is up next Spring?

I'm considering Shell Rotella T5 5W-30. I live in Tucson, AZ.
    Basically any fully synthetic oil these days is going to be good quality stuff you shouldn't have any concerns about using. What exactly most people use really comes down to personal preference. I'm a Mobil 1 guy, but I wouldn't have any qualms about putting Castrol, Shell, or any other full synthetic in there. Even a no-name brand is going to be fine. It's just going to be some name-brand that's sold cheaper because it doesn't have name-brand price.

Quote Originally Posted by subysti85 View Post
    here i am i currently hown 2011 wrx and its about 7 mounth old havent have any oil change sice got it. i currenly have abouth 4700 mile on it, so i am thinking give a oil change on 5000 . my question is what brand u guys raccomand to use? or should i just use subaru brand oil
    See my post above.....

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Subaru oil is good oil, I'd use a genuine oil filter as well. I personally use oem Subaru oil filter with redline 5/30
    Why would you say to use the OEM filter? I've been using Mobil 1 filters for a long time now because they trap smaller particles than anything else on the market. Of course my 911 uses a replaceable filter element that doesn't list the particulate size so I just use OEM on that one...

On the flip side, I won't use the really cheapo filters either because I don't think they filter quite as effectively, though I've always wondered how much this really matters. How big does a particle have to be before it really causes wear on your engine? I guess any size particle will more so than not having any particles in your oil, but do you need to have a car for 100k+ before it started to make a difference on ring and cylinder wall, camshaft, etc wear?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    royal purple is what they use in torpedoes so if is good enough for a engine in a boom i would have to say its probably the best

I Support ClubWRX
    but i run 5w-30 castrol edge with titanium full synthetic with a 2005 wrx with 55k heavily moded at 330awhp and methanol/distilled water at 10psi of boost

so here it is [IMG][/IMG] that will be my first

I Support ClubWRX
    I strongly suggest that all owners of 2011 subaru impreza wrx or wrx/stis contact your local subaru dealership and ask them what your oil change interval is. According to my owners manual the oil change interval is 7,500 which is what most of you have told me, however this is now incorrect.. According to the dealer here local the service bulletin for 2011 subaru turbo model cars have reduced the oil change interval back to 3,750 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I strongly suggest that all owners of 2011 subaru impreza wrx or wrx/stis contact your local subaru dealership and ask them what your oil change interval is. According to my owners manual the oil change interval is 7,500 which is what most of you have told me, however this is now incorrect.. According to the dealer here local the service bulletin for 2011 subaru turbo model cars have reduced the oil change interval back to 3,750 miles.
    Do you have a copy or a link to that bulletin? I called my local dealer and they didn't know about this and my online maintenance schedule (which I would figure would contain the latest info) also still says 7500 miles. I change mine myself at 3k miles but it might be useful for those that get theirs changed at the dealer.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    I am currently waiting on a copy of the service bulletin. I will let you know.