??What oil should I use?? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, How much oil do I need to buy for my 2005 2.0L WRX? I know once I go ...

Hey all, How much oil do I need to buy for my 2005 2.0L WRX? I know once I go to the store, they can tell me but just figured I'd ask the experts! Also I plan on using Valvoline full syn 5w-30, I have 87,XXX miles, good choice? Also, is that oil "energy conserving?" my manual says to buy that kind. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you have the manual, it will specify both the volume needed and the viscosity and type. Simply follow that. To see other people's results with any oil, go to Bob Is The Oil Guy's site and search for used oil analyses with your oil choice in a motor similar to yours.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thats kind of weird... I thought 2003 was the last year for the 2.0 turbo.... 2004 switched to the 2.5's?

I Support ClubWRX
    2002 through 2005
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    2002 through 2005
    WRX's had 2.0s

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blakekawalec View Post
    Thats kind of weird... I thought 2003 was the last year for the 2.0 turbo.... 2004 switched to the 2.5's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    2002 through 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    WRX's had 2.0s
    Yeah, USDM STi was introduced in 2003 as a MY04 and have come with 2.5l since. So that may have added to some confusion as well.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Wow, guys... so I bought 5 quarts of Valvoline Full Syn, a Mobil 1 gold filter for my first oil change (just got her on fri.) I go to drain the oil.... BLACK nasty stuff...
    someone let that go WAY TOO long... makes me so mad, hope it didn't cause any damage... I haven't even checked the air filter yet, I'm sure it's horrendous

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, they joys of used car purchasing. Always assume that the guy who owned the car before you had no idea what he was doing unless he has proof otherwise (maintenance records). My last 3 cars were all used and every one of them I changed the fluids, filters, and spark plugs on right after purchase just to be safe.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Undead View Post
    Wow, guys... so I bought 5 quarts of Valvoline Full Syn, a Mobil 1 gold filter for my first oil change (just got her on fri.) I go to drain the oil.... BLACK nasty stuff...
    someone let that go WAY TOO long... makes me so mad, hope it didn't cause any damage... I haven't even checked the air filter yet, I'm sure it's horrendous
    Doesn't surprise me. I noticed an 05-07 STi sitting in the back of a local used car dealer for awhile so I stopped to check it out and it was pounded to death. Some teenager had it and beat the crap out of it, never checked the oil, eventually it blew up.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil colour does not reveal whether the oil is still effective. Without lab data you have no way of knowing if the oil has gone too long.

I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I'd worry more if the oil was clear.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^Interesting, never thought of it like that, makes me feel a little better.
    Also, haven't even had a chance to check spark plugs... hope they're okay, I will definitely check them ASAP, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Oil colour does not reveal whether the oil is still effective. Without lab data you have no way of knowing if the oil has gone too long.

That is true, but chances are the oil was spent.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

I'd second this motion.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

There will not be a problem with the 0W-40 I am running in my engine will there? I wanted to use that for the colder winter start ups...

I Support ClubWRX
    A problem for the engine? No. A problem for the warranty? If the oil does not meet the specification, maybe.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.