??What oil should I use?? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by KHP Yes it is energy conserving. I shopped for oils all around and I can't find any ...

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Yes it is energy conserving.

I shopped for oils all around and I can't find any ester/POA based oils that were SM/SN and energy conserving so I'll be stuck using group III oils for now.
    That seems to be the standard. If you want to stay with an over the shelf 30 weight it looks like German Castrol is the only way to go but it's not energy conserving. Then again, nothing about a turbocharged AWD car is "energy conserving"
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    That seems to be the standard. If you want to stay with an over the shelf 30 weight it looks like German Castrol is the only way to go but it's not energy conserving. Then again, nothing about a turbocharged AWD car is "energy conserving"
    I was looking at German Castrol as well, but another issue with it is it's labeled 0w-30. Even though scientific tests really show it's 5 weight when cold I'm pretty sure Subaru warranty department might void warranty claims after they see my receipt saying 0W-30 oil and not the recommended 5W-30.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I was looking at German Castrol as well, but another issue with it is it's labeled 0w-30. Even though scientific tests really show it's 5 weight when cold I'm pretty sure Subaru warranty department might void warranty claims after they see my receipt saying 0W-30 oil and not the recommended 5W-30.
    I can see your concern with the warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Feel free to change your oil as often as wish. It can't hurt anything other than your wallet depending on how deep it is. Personally I feel like its a waste especially when I have scientific data saying that my oil can be used for longer intervals. Actually I'm shooting for 7500 miles which is the new subaru OCI for 2011 WRX's. I'll only do that though if UOA shows that it's safe to do so.
    You can get all irritated if you wish but motor job after motor job after motor job and custom Honda motor after Custom Honda motor I will continue to stay at 3,000 mile changes. Maintenance is always cheaper than repair. Not that I like to throw money away but I really don't feel that it is throwing away money.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

KHP
    Irritated? I'm not irritated I'm just saying you can continue with your current OCI that you've been following.

I haven't had one of my families motors fail because of oil and all of them runs like they're new. My sisters BMW has been following 15000 mile oil change intervals (through engine computer estimation and dealer recommendation) and it's got over 120000 miles on the clock and still chugging along happily. What works for me may not work for you.

To add you should probably stick to what Subaru recommends for your year car which is 3750 Miles @ 3000 miles oil change you're good. 2011 has changed to 7500.
    Last edited by KHP; 04-17-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Irritated? I'm not irritated
    To add you should probably stick to what Subaru recommends for your year car which is 3750 Miles @ 3000 miles oil change you're good. 2011 has changed to 7500.
    I know what it has changed too.. I own multiple subarus.

I usually just take my car to the local dealership for oil changes. I use the conventional option as it is a bit thicker and much cheaper then synthetic. Typically $12 from the dealer for oil and filter change (i usually changed my own oil on previous cars, but why deal with the fuss personally for that price). Add another couple of dollars for an optional addititve that i use every other change. Usually I try to do the 3,500 mile intervals between changes, but i typically rack up 350 miles per week (alot of driving between the city and the mountainss on the weekends.)
    Last edited by WillieRX; 04-22-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

I just started running Mobile 1 0w-40 for the colder winter months, there won't be any problems will there?

I probably don't have any right to state anything since this might be my first post ... i purchased a 2011 WRX for my girl and have had s2k's and 350z and a couple of other recent cars. One of the coolest thing I saw a group do was in the my350z forum where literally about 50 members sent their used oil to Blackstone to have it analyzed.
    Results? Castrol Syntec was the best oil for the Nissan engine. This was after over 200 reports and due to the metals in the engine and wear and tear from old engines to new, Castrol was deemed the best with Mobil 1 one of most to burn the most.
    It would be great to have a sticky thread of people submitting their reports on the oil analyzed.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacreth View Post
    I probably don't have any right to state anything since this might be my first post ... i purchased a 2011 WRX for my girl and have had s2k's and 350z and a couple of other recent cars. One of the coolest thing I saw a group do was in the my350z forum where literally about 50 members sent their used oil to Blackstone to have it analyzed.
    Results? Castrol Syntec was the best oil for the Nissan engine. This was after over 200 reports and due to the metals in the engine and wear and tear from old engines to new, Castrol was deemed the best with Mobil 1 one of most to burn the most.
    It would be great to have a sticky thread of people submitting their reports on the oil analyzed.

Just my 2 cents.
    I'm using the German Castrol and was going to send my oil in to Blackstone but haven't yet. I've seen nothing but good test results from this oil which is why I use it. And it's an Ester based synthetic.

Nice to know. I haven't done my first oil change since I only got it 2 weeks ago and only have 110 since I got it...lol

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    You can get all irritated if you wish but motor job after motor job after motor job and custom Honda motor after Custom Honda motor I will continue to stay at 3,000 mile changes. Maintenance is always cheaper than repair. Not that I like to throw money away but I really don't feel that it is throwing away money.
    I don't get your point. You're not adding reliability to a motor by changing perfectly good fluid and filters that are operating at near 100% efficiency as compared to new oil and a new filter.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX View Post
    I usually just take my car to the local dealership for oil changes. I use the conventional option as it is a bit thicker and much cheaper then synthetic. Typically $12 from the dealer for oil and filter change (i usually changed my own oil on previous cars, but why deal with the fuss personally for that price). Add another couple of dollars for an optional addititve that i use every other change. Usually I try to do the 3,500 mile intervals between changes, but i typically rack up 350 miles per week (alot of driving between the city and the mountainss on the weekends.)
    If you keep your vehicles for very long, the reduced wear and increased reliability synthetic gives you pays for itself.

Synthetic oil actually gives you a tiny bit more HP/TQ too due to the increased efficiency it creates in the engine. Enough to really notice at your butt dyno? No, but more power is more power.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I just switched to Rotella T6 5W-40.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I don't get your point. You're not adding reliability to a motor by changing perfectly good fluid and filters that are operating at near 100% efficiency as compared to new oil and a new filter.
    How could it be running at 100% efficiency as compared to new oil and a new filter at 3,000 miles if an oil change interval is 7,500. That is right around 33% of the oils/filters life gone.. Did you forget you were typing on your ****ty car forum and think you were amongst the gods again on your porsche forum where 20k oil changes are ok..

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil change intervals will invariably increase as sump size increases, since there is more oil volume. The issue is with our relatively average sumps, is 7,5K a reasonable interval. SOA say it is generally, and my feeling is that if it were not, we bought the wrong car. In 2011 we should not be dealing with change intervals below something like 5K IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.