??What oil should I use?? - Page 4
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm wanting to go back to conventional Castrol GTX. I tried the Rotella T6 thing and my engine runs VERY ...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm wanting to go back to conventional Castrol GTX. I tried the Rotella T6 thing and my engine runs VERY loud with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i went to royal purple at 80k its ok. was some power gain. but went to readline at87k much better its in every part of my car read the msds tell a good story too

Rotella T6 has high ZDDP which is in fact good for reducing wear on the motor but if the motor burns oil, it becomes a matter of concern where it can obstruct the CAT.

Quote Originally Posted by siddle View Post
    Rotella T6 has high ZDDP which is in fact good for reducing wear on the motor but if the motor burns oil, it becomes a matter of concern where it can obstruct the CAT.
    I don't use T6 but I have checked it out at Walmart and it's SM rated so it must have less zddp. Anyway, if your burning that much oil the cat. is the last thing you should be worried about.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    I have had Red Line 5W30 for a little while on the shelf, decided to see if it was good to use on my 07 wrx. It is a good oil for use in the 06+ WRXs and so far it is working well.

I always use factory Subaru filters. Is there anything better?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

You may be correct. What would you suggest then?

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I ran Mobil 1 stock, and stage 1. I stopped using it at stage 2 as it was no longer up to the task. Will I run it in my current WRX with it's mods: No.

Would I run it in a stock WRX: I would have, but I've since found an oil I'm very happy with that gets excellent reviews.

Will I continue to run it in my 4runner: Absolutely.
    I look at it this way, I'm a castrol fan.. always have been and never had any issues with it.. in various applications (even air cooled.. which is hell on oil) however.. that said.. Porsche spec's mobile1 for their machines... and those engineers aren't messing about. So.. as its always up to the consumer to decide how to spend their money.. Mobil1 is still a good product. My wrx at 46K mi now (in case you guys haven't noticed I rack up mileage like highschool kids get pimples) and has had mobil1 in it since its first oil change. I'm all factory for now, looking to go stage1 pretty soon.. but no further. For me and most others (as stated above) mobil1 should be just fine.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

KHP
    I'm running M1 EP in my 2011 WRX right now. So far it's been running well no signs of the engine consuming oil. I'm just crossing my fingers that it doesn't shear down. I only have about 1500 miles on the oil though. I'll post my UOA after 5000 miles.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    You guys really going 5,000 miles on oil changes?

Up until recently all Honda/Acura oil was mobil 1
    Chevrolet Corvette factory filled mobil 1 and requires mobil 1
    Mitsubishi Evo mobil 1
    BMW factory oil is mobil 1
    Subaru factory oil is mobil 1
    Volvo factory oil is mobil 1
    Land Rover mobil 1
    Aston Martin mobil 1
    Jaguar mobil 1

Many many more... It's a good oil guys.. I'd still change oil at 3,000 miles

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I'd still change oil at 3,000 miles
    Feel free to change your oil as often as wish. It can't hurt anything other than your wallet depending on how deep it is. Personally I feel like its a waste especially when I have scientific data saying that my oil can be used for longer intervals. Actually I'm shooting for 7500 miles which is the new subaru OCI for 2011 WRX's. I'll only do that though if UOA shows that it's safe to do so.
    Last edited by KHP; 04-17-2011 at 01:01 PM.

A member on my local forum ran Rotella T5 for 8000 km (5000 miles) and had an analysis done. The Blackstone rep indicated that he could go to a longer interval next time if he chose to. Don't get me started on the poop storm that ensues when Rotella comes up on my local forum...

I'll continue to go 5-6k km intervals no matter what; I run synthetic, presently Petro Canada brand. Results in a few more oil changes per years of ownership, but it's cheap insurance, at least on the oil front.
    Last edited by mudferret; 04-17-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    I'm running M1 EP in my 2011 WRX right now. So far it's been running well no signs of the engine consuming oil. I'm just crossing my fingers that it doesn't shear down. I only have about 1500 miles on the oil though. I'll post my UOA after 5000 miles.
    It will be interesting to see your next uoa. Is the Mobil 1 5w-30 EP energy conserving? I wouldn't think it is considering the name.

Also, for people that say Mobil 1 is factory fill on other cars like the GT-R, Porsche 911 turbo, etc.. That is Mobil 1 Euro 0w-40.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    At least 5000. This is the 21st century and short change intervals should not be acceptable. Subaru should be ashamed of their TSB dictating 3750 mi intervals. Disgraceful from a firm that paints itself as progressive.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    It will be interesting to see your next uoa. Is the Mobil 1 5w-30 EP energy conserving? I wouldn't think it is considering the name.
    Yes it is energy conserving.

I shopped for oils all around and I can't find any ester/POA based oils that were SM/SN and energy conserving so I'll be stuck using group III oils for now.
    Last edited by KHP; 04-17-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    At least 5000. This is the 21st century and short change intervals should not be acceptable. Subaru should be ashamed of their TSB dictating 3750 mi intervals. Disgraceful from a firm that paints itself as progressive.
    +1 million.

The new oil change interval on Porsche 911's is 20,000 miles. Of course I'd never do that, but it points to how far advanced oil technology has become.

I usually do about 7-8k between changes plus I top off. And I use Mobil 1 filters or the best I can find for the application. Mobil 1 filters go down to a smaller particle size than anything else I've found.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading