??What oil should I use?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR You have a 2011. Follow the manufacturer's specifications to the letter. What oil does Subaru say ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You have a 2011. Follow the manufacturer's specifications to the letter. What oil does Subaru say to use? An API SL? CF? What viscosity?

Follow those recommendations.

If it were my car I'd look at the two ACEA A3 choices above, and probably use either or prefer the one that meets LL-04. You are still under warranty though, so you should follow the Subaru spec. specifically. Keep all receipts.
    My owners manual says 5w-30, ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5, or API classification SN or SM with the words "energy conserving"

Yes, still under warranty. Only got 850 miles on the car. I've always used Mobil 1 oil & filter ($30 on sale at advance auto) in the past but decided to do some research on this car before picking a brand since I've never owned a turbo car before.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Unless there are other viscosities specified (there usually are a range) then I don't think any of the oils you have listed meet your requirements.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Unless there are other viscosities specified (there usually are a range) then I don't think any of the oils you have listed meet your requirements.
    Ya, I noticed that but I read a good amount of people use it for a wrx. Oh well, the more I think about it I just want a good oil I can get without much hassle (advance, walmart, etc..) at a reasonable price since I plan on following the 3750 mile interval at least for the first few changes then up to 5000 miles. All this reading about oil is enough to make you crazy

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Ya, I noticed that but I read a good amount of people use it for a wrx.
    Let's say everyone except you in the world uses it, to make things simple. You've still not met warranty requirements. The quality of the product itself doesn't matter; for the warranty, the specifications matter.

Oh well, the more I think about it I just want a good oil I can get without much hassle (advance, walmart, etc..) at a reasonable price since I plan on following the 3750 mile interval at least for the first few changes then up to 5000 miles. All this reading about oil is enough to make you crazy
    At least while under warranty, since you will be following the 3750 interval anyway, just pick something readily accessible, economical, and within the specification set by the manufacturer.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Please check with your dealer. Subaru has changed the requirements for the 2011 turbo models. They now require full synthetic 5W-30 oil changed every 7500 miles. I wrote Subaru to verify, and that is what they said. The owners manual were printed before the requirement was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by TimbersWRX View Post
    Please check with your dealer. Subaru has changed the requirements for the 2011 turbo models. They now require full synthetic 5W-30 oil changed every 7500 miles. I wrote Subaru to verify, and that is what they said. The owners manual were printed before the requirement was changed.
    I did read about that and called my dealer. Talked with the service manager and he said that is the maximum interval for the car under normal operating conditions. However, he said if it was my car I wouldn't go past 5000 miles. I am still unsure about what brand to use. I've used Mobil 1 5w-30 in my Frontier with no problems but after some research it doesn't seem like a good choice in a wrx. Shell Rotella T6 has plenty of good info behind it but I only see 5w-40 available. I would hate to pay top dollar for Subaru oil from my local dealer because they are pricks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Shell Rotella T6 has plenty of good info behind it but I only see 5w-40 available.
    Thats because it is made for Diesel engines.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Thats because it is made for Diesel engines.
    Ya, I seen that. Should it not be used in a gas engine? I see alot of talk on the wrx engine shearing down a 5w-30 to a 20 weight so they use a 5w-40 like Rotella T6 with good results. I've always seen plenty of post about Subaru's burning mobil 1 like crazy.

I know this subject is really wore out but I am new to Subaru and want to make the best choice for my car.

BUMP THIS....Shell Rotella T6 is good stuff. To add a bit, the only oil I've heard shearing on a turbo car is Mobil1 5w-30 down to a 20wt. I guess it really depends how you drive, how often you change your oil, etc. I know Mobil1 has their 5w-40 as well, but I've never used it. I usually stick to either Rotella T6 5w-40 or Valvoline full synth with no issues...
    2005 WRX, 62K, no issues.
    2005 WRX
    Stage 2, for now....

As a guy that makes his living advising people in the oil industry, including people such as the King of Saudi Arabia, any stories of a particular oil causing engine failures is ridiculous. The oil isn't doing it. That particular engine may have had issues that caused it to fail earlier than others. Tranny fluid or brake fluid or any of those others are a different story, but engine oil is engine oil. Synthetic is better than conventional, but in general, no oil if properly maintained/replaced will ever cause a failure. They're all too similar to ever blame one for an issue.

But what do I know, I've just made a quarter million a year+ for years doing this job. Listen to gossip or listen to somebody that knows.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I have a hard time believing that mistakes are never made . Mobil 1 5w30 was an oil,for a while,known for shearing early. It's a mass produced product like everything else. I'm sure quality control sometimes can lack or a "mistake" is made in the oil additive package. Not saying the product still does shear down but this is not just a Subaru thing. But your absolutely right,the are other variables that need to be looked at before just blaming the oil for engine failure. For one if your not running a quality filter than even the worlds best motor oil isn't going to save you. If you want to know if your oil (and filter) is working for you then spend $20 on a UOI (Used Oil Analysis).
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-22-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I ran Mobil 1 stock, and stage 1. I stopped using it at stage 2 as it was no longer up to the task. Will I run it in my current WRX with it's mods: No.

Would I run it in a stock WRX: I would have, but I've since found an oil I'm very happy with that gets excellent reviews.

Will I continue to run it in my 4runner: Absolutely.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    As a guy that makes his living advising people in the oil industry, including people such as the King of Saudi Arabia, any stories of a particular oil causing engine failures is ridiculous. The oil isn't doing it. That particular engine may have had issues that caused it to fail earlier than others. Tranny fluid or brake fluid or any of those others are a different story, but engine oil is engine oil. Synthetic is better than conventional, but in general, no oil if properly maintained/replaced will ever cause a failure. They're all too similar to ever blame one for an issue.

But what do I know, I've just made a quarter million a year+ for years doing this job. Listen to gossip or listen to somebody that knows.
    I would have to agree with this. I also wish I made half as much as you.

After some research when I was looking into oils I came to this conclusion. The wrx and sti tend to consume oil when driven hard if you use a 5w-30 energy conserving oil. People end up not checking the oil, run the car hard while low on oil, engine has failure, they run to the forums and bad mouth that oil.

^I'd tend to agree with that line of thinking as well. Shearing problem; heard of it, though I don't know anyone personally who had that problem. Mobil 1 thinning out and not being up to the high heat and strain of a modified WRX or STI, burning, oil level getting low, I can picture that, and know a few people who have had that issue and a failure would almost definitely be immanent if someone didn't check their oil regularly enough. A different oil was required for them at that point in their build.

I'm not sure what type of tolerances Subaru engines are built to from the factory, but perhaps we're not looking at ultra low numbers since they can and do burn oil easily at times.

My 4runner has never burnt a drop of Mobil 1, or any other oil for that matter. But Toyota was working with tolerances on the micron level back then, hopefully they still do.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm at 60k on my WRX... and I still haven't lost any oil between oil changes with mobil 1
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!