??What oil should I use?? - Page 17
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by dljackson907 Definitely going to try the T6, I already can't wait to do my first oil change ...

Quote Originally Posted by dljackson907 View Post
    Definitely going to try the T6, I already can't wait to do my first oil change on this car!
    Good choice. Don't forget that crush washer! ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I guess I should also ask what the torque spec is for the oil drain plug? Not that it would be to important, but I like to make my torque wrenches feel useful.

Definitely going to try the T6, I already can't wait to do my first oil change on this car!
    32.5 ft/lbs, but really you just need to tighten it until you feel the crush washer squish, and then a little bit extra for good measure. Just don't go hulk on it or you'll ruin your oil pan... and if you do, give Killer B Motorsports a call for a new one :P

I have so much to learn about this WRX :P Thank you sensei

I haven't gone through this whole thread yet but I was actually wondering the same thing. I own a 2003 WRX with 61,700 miles on it. When I talked to a tech at the Subaru dealer, he said that I should NOT use Mobil 1 synthetic, but he recommended Shell's Rotella synthetic oil. He also said that I should switch to 5W40, but when I looked for 5W40 Rotella, the container said "Diesel Turbo Charged Engines". I'm a little hesitant on their recommendation since my car is not a diesel; should I just stay with 5W30?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-3.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	137849
    Here's my 5W40 right before I changed my oil about 1K miles ago. Don't hesitate, your car will love you for it, mine does!!!!! Just don't forget to use a genuine Subaru filter
    Stitch Jones aka Mr Bakalava
    2013 PBP WRX

Quote Originally Posted by dead_ringer View Post

Here's my 5W40 right before I changed my oil about 1K miles ago. Don't hesitate, your car will love you for it, mine does!!!!! Just don't forget to use a genuine Subaru filter

thats the good stuff.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by dead_ringer View Post

thats the good stuff.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

I've heard that t6 was reformulated and now isn't as good for our cars as it used to be. Plus wanting to stick with 5w-30 for warranty I'm leaning towards a soil xl.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
    I've heard that t6 was reformulated and now isn't as good for our cars as it used to be. Plus wanting to stick with 5w-30 for warranty I'm leaning towards a soil xl.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Where did you "hear" this from?
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

I just used t6 5W40 about a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be doing fine in my 2003 wrx, and it's still pretty cold at night where I live. Car still warms up just fine, less ticking noise as it's warming up.

I do remember reading something on the NASIOC forums about the phosphorus/zinc content in t6 causing premature failure of the catalytic converter, but i don't think there has been any proof that t6 itself is what causes that. Besides, don't most of us wrx/sti owners either have or plan to have catless exhausts anyways? haha.
    Here's the link to that forum, it's a little outdated now.

Rotella T6 not good for WRX's? - Page 2 - NASIOC

I decided to use t6 because of all the pro's I've read from it and the fact that the Subaru techs at the dealership recommended that oil. But ultimately, the choice is up to you! Oil is oil is oil.

Has anyone ran Lucas oil before? I run 10w30 in my Chevy prerunner and I wanted to continue running Lucas in all my vehicles but I haven't heard of it in cars just trucks. And to be sure I get the correct capacity after referring the chart, mine would be 3.5 qts (2.0L wrx) I'm still a noob to this car and the import scene in general so sorry for the nooby questions lol I'm used to offroad lifted trucks :3

I Support ClubWRX
    The 2.0 takes 4,7
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The 2.0 takes 4,7
    Oops thanks dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal.LV93 View Post
    Has anyone ran Lucas oil before? I run 10w30 in my Chevy prerunner and I wanted to continue running Lucas in all my vehicles but I haven't heard of it in cars just trucks. And to be sure I get the correct capacity after referring the chart, mine would be 3.5 qts (2.0L wrx) I'm still a noob to this car and the import scene in general so sorry for the nooby questions lol I'm used to offroad lifted trucks :3
    Should be okay, but I have never personally used Lucas oil before. I would say use 5w30 though if yours is stock.
    I actually tried Penzoil's new pure plus one oil (made from natural gas) in my subie and it has been wonderful. I check the oil on every other gas fillup and so far I haven't had any decrease in oil level, and it still looks clean. I'm about 1700 miles into the oil now. The nice thing about it also is it comes in 5 quart jugs, so you don't have to buy a 4 quart and a 1 quart so you have enough. Bad thing is it is a bit expensive, about $45 for a jug.

The speed shop I went to (that's conveniently next to the shop I work at) only had one qt of Lucas 5w30 but they had redline so I got that instead. I did talk with them for a little about the whole "running diesel oil" trend and apparently, like I had perceived, it really isn't a good idea because of different metal contents especially zinc. Idk I thought it was of same principal as don't put diesel fuel in a octane engine and don't run diesel oil in a conventional oil ran engine. Maybe I'll try the penzoil next change.