??What oil should I use?? - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by dead_ringer Walmart has 1 quart bottles That's good to know! I know buying 2 gallon jugs of ...

Quote Originally Posted by dead_ringer View Post
    Walmart has 1 quart bottles
    That's good to know! I know buying 2 gallon jugs of it would be cheaper...I just didn't feel like spending that extra $28 at that time cause I already bought a ton of **** to do 2 other oil changes besides mine.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have to buy four gallons of T6 to do both of my cars at once and only have 3 quarts left over lol the M3 holds 8 quarts slightly overfilled by itself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I bought 6 bottles of the quarts at walmart. I basically cleaned out their shelf haha. Those quarts are hard to find.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by hybridEJ View Post
    I have to buy four gallons of T6 to do both of my cars at once and only have 3 quarts left over lol the M3 holds 8 quarts slightly overfilled by itself.

BMWs take a metric **** ton of oil. My old 318i would take almost 6qts! 1.8L engine!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by hybridEJ View Post

BMWs take a metric **** ton of oil. My old 318i would take almost 6qts! 1.8L engine!

7.2 filled and I run 8 because M racecar and I go hard

What does the manual say to put in your M? Usually adding more oil doesn't mean that it's going to work better...in fact there have been many cases out there in many different cars where more oil causes more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    What does the manual say to put in your M? Usually adding more oil doesn't mean that it's going to work better...in fact there have been many cases out there in many different cars where more oil causes more problems.
    7.2 filled as mentioned above. It's only 8/10ths over and it's a very common practice for those who have owned them for years and drive them hard. It's not enough to cause whipping from the crank. The M S52 engine also goes through a quart every 1500-2000 miles so it's not a big deal.

I haven't gone through this whole thread yet but I was actually wondering the same thing. I own a 2003 WRX with 61,700 miles on it. When I talked to a tech at the Subaru dealer, he said that I should NOT use Mobil 1 synthetic, but he recommended Shell's Rotella synthetic oil. He also said that I should switch to 5W40, but when I looked for 5W40 Rotella, the container said "Diesel Turbo Charged Engines". I'm a little hesitant on their recommendation since my car is not a diesel; should I just stay with 5W30?

Tons of people with non diesel engines are running it.

nvm I just read a couple posts back, looks like someone else was told the same thing! Looks like I'll be trying the Rotella oil for my next oil change!

http://s02.static-shell.com/content/...6-brochure.pdf

It carries an SM approval, thus it is safe for use in our vehicles. In fact, UOAs have come back with fantastic results. Also, if you're looking for single quarts I've had luck at Walmart.

The 3 that are recommended often are Castrol Edge (with syntec) 0w-30 (german formula, at autozone), Mobil 1 0w-40, and Rotella T6 5w-40. Rotella is the most affordable and probably the most durable.

Yeah that what I figured after reading a few of the posts. I looked everywhere for 5W40 and couldn't find it until I saw the Rotella, but they didn't tell me it was diesel oil though. So how about a Wix oil filter?

Quote Originally Posted by dljackson907 View Post
    Yeah that what I figured after reading a few of the posts. I looked everywhere for 5W40 and couldn't find it until I saw the Rotella, but they didn't tell me it was diesel oil though. So how about a Wix oil filter?
    WIX 57712 - Oil Filter | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Either use the genuine subaru filters or the one up there. There's Purolator that has the proper relief valve pressure (23psi), but I've heard it touches the header. The big thing here is the relief valve pressure. Our cars require it to be much higher than most other cars. You definitely don't want to be bypassing your filter more often than not.

Definitely going to try the T6, I already can't wait to do my first oil change on this car!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.