??What oil should I use?? - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If it came down to using API specified oil vs one exceeding those specifications, what would you rather use on ...

iH4
    If it came down to using API specified oil vs one exceeding those specifications, what would you rather use on your car?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by iH4 View Post
    If it came down to using API specified oil vs one exceeding those specifications, what would you rather use on your car?

The oil specified by the car manufacturer under the warranty terms for the duration of the warranty. After that I'd use whatever oil was easy to obtain and provided acceptable data. However the 5W-20 above is an API oil, and it would be suitable to use in e.g. my Honda. Thanks for the pic.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

While under warranty? An API certified oil. They can give you grief over using a slightly higher grade but not using an oil certified to meet SN specs on a newer car is asking for even more headaches.

iH4
    Does your local dealer sell and/or will service your new car with say... Motul 5w40?

Does your local dealer sell and/or will service your new car with say... Motul 5w40?

Not sure what point you're trying to make or who your question is directed at but Motul does not manufacture a 5W-40 that meets API SN specs. So I would not expect my local dealer to service or sell a new car using such oil.
    I think SOA would have a hard time rejecting a warranty claim because one was using M1 0W-40. Yes, its a slightly higher grade than 5W-30 but it still meets API SN specs. The service manager was more concerned about the use of a API SN synthetic than he was about wether or not I stuck with a 30 grade.

iH4
    If you're not too concerned about it because you know the dealer that services your car, understands the benefits of such "boutique" oils, then why not use something that should and would protect your engine better than a standard API type oil lubricant? FYI: I bought a gallon of Motul 5w40 from local dealer who would also service my new car with it prior to getting PurOl.

Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and Subaru enthusiast are now running PurOl based on proven results from chemical and mechanical engineers, its dyno tested to increase power, that's what I'll be running.

The thread asks "what oil should I use" - Basically, I guess if you know your service dealer will give you a hard time about it (should some engine damage occurred related to oil) then I would suggest stick to OE Subaru dealer synthetic only. Use whatever is best based on your knowledge, judgement and resources.

I Support ClubWRX
    You'd be relying on the word of someone that works at a specific dealer that running the wrong oil spec will not be the cause they chose to deny your warranty claim. Words are worthless. The guy may retire. He may change his mind. A claim may change his view. Everyone's your brother till the rent comes due.

Now if the expensive oil meets the spec then no worries just keep dated receipts. That'd be ideal.

Even then though, consider that I've generated single-digit wear data using less expensive, widely available oil from a much better established firm. Since getting even lower wear numbers isn't statistically significant when the data are that low, I don't actually see a reason to risk a "boutique" choice.

If you decide to run that other stuff though it'd be interesting to see used oil analysis data from your motor. They probably buy their materials from the established firms but it's interesting to see how their choices might affect wear rates etc. They might be quite good. Thanks for link.

Edit: I got curious and searched for data; there are no data on that oil on Bob's site. Do you happen to know of any UOA links?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-10-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

hi,

im kinda confused..I just bought the rotella t6 oil and i just realized its for diesel applications.. Is that normal?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ben View Post
    hi,

im kinda confused..I just bought the rotella t6 oil and i just realized its for diesel applications.. Is that normal?
    It is not only for diesel applications. Look on the label and there should be gasoline engine applications listed as well. Since you are in a different country your product may vary; however there are non-diesel specifications listed in parallel with the diesel spec.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It is not only for diesel applications. Look on the label and there should be gasoline engine applications listed as well. Since you are in a different country your product may vary; however there are non-diesel specifications listed in parallel with the diesel spec.
    Oh I saw a label stating specification and approvals

SM is listed in there

Go I guess its all good.

Here's some pics of the bottle

Also, do I need a new crush washer when puting back the drain plug in?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes SM is an API specification for gasoline oil.

You know I'd not noticed before that Rotella T6 is also JASO MA, meaning it's OK for motorcycles with wet clutches too. Interesting.

glad to see my question made you learn something new!

thanks for your help.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ben
    Also, do I need a new crush washer when puting back the drain plug in?
    Yes
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

iH4
    Me:

PurOl

I apologize for the necropost, but I haven't seen any mention of the proper relief valve pressure. Our cars have a higher pressure than most (23psi if my memory serves me). Stick with the OEM filters or the wix/purolator filters made with the proper relief valve. There's no sense worrying about the "best" oil if it's bypassing the filter most of the time.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.