??What oil should I use?? - Page 12
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by cjbigcog Anyone use Walmart Supertech oil? The price looks good, but I don't know anything about this ...

Quote Originally Posted by cjbigcog View Post
    Anyone use Walmart Supertech oil? The price looks good, but I don't know anything about this oil.
    Unless you are really beating on your car or change the oil every 3000 miles, it will be fine. I run synthetic because I like to go a little longer on changes, and the manual even recommends 7500 with synthetic.
    '14 SWP STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have a 2013 wrx sedan. I've heard a few people say that you should change the oil at the 1000 mile mark after break in period. the dealer told me to check regularly and not to change it until the scheduled 7500 mile service. what is the best thing for the car? i just reached my 1000 mile mark today and need to know what to do. excuse me if this is a dumb question but i am a noob and will admit that i am new to subarus but definitely in love!

I Support ClubWRX
    I do not believe Subaru use break in oil. If I am correct, and they don't, then you are free to change as frequently as you wish provided you use the correct spec and viscosity oil, the correct filter, and mind neither the waste of money nor resources. Find out if I am correct first though -- I rarely am.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I will prob just go with what the dealer says if no one has any good reason to change. All maintenance is covered by the dealership for the scheduled maintenance for 2 years. So I guess if there is no reason then ill just keep it full of synthetic 5w30 and take it in as scheduled at 7500mi

I'm having a tough time choosing a viscosity for my next oil change, I live in Las Vegas and it's about to get up to 105 F here. Always stuck to synthetic. I've got a slight leak and already burn some, how thick can you go without causing trouble?

03 WRX, stock.

nateleeg you drive in an extreme environment. I like this oil and recommend it. Shell Rotella® Products - Shell Rotella

Looks like shell is having a rebate promotion going on until the end of May.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I travel the country for a living. I had a 2008 Scion XB for 4 1/2 years and 113,000 miles. The dealer did 2 free oil changes that came with it then it was Amsoil 25,000 mile or a year whichever was first. I work 8 months out of the year and deal with college kids so I am working Jan-May and Aug-Nov. I changed my oil 3 times a year. I left it in roughly 13,000 miles during the semester and 4,000 miles during the summer. It never used a drop etc. I also used Napa Gold filter. I also use Amsoil in my 08 Yamaha FZ6. I change it once a year. Bike has 13,000 miles on it and zero issues. My first car was a 1998 VW Bug with a 5 speed. That car had numerous different kinds of oil in it from Castrol to Napa synthetic to mobil 1 synthetic. I beat the living heck out of that car and always drove it to the floor. It had 135,000 miles on it when I traded it for the XB. It never used a drop of oil either...

NAPA Gold filter and Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic here. I just started using the Rotella, and I have to say, it seems like a much happier car. I've used the NAPA Gold filter since I've had the car, but was constantly swapping oils. I've used Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic 5w30, Castrol GTX 10w30 conventional, to more recently Brad Penn 10w30, and out of them all, I like the Rotella. 5w30, for me, anyway was no bueno. It just seemed to damn thin, especially in the summer. The Brad Penn is good because of the higher sulfer and phosphorous content, which is good for catless and those running some more mods and forged pistons. It wasn't for me, though. **** stunk to high heaven, and I probably reduced the life of my converter by a couple of years, anyway.
    Team Bad Luck Scooby

Just to clarify: interval for the new gen is 7500 miles for N/A engines. For turbos it's half that. If you look it up in the manual, read ALL of it...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

No, actually it is 7500 miles on all the 2011 and newer turbo motors. But they require synthetic oil. The original 2011 manual was wrong, but corrected later. Call subaru if you doubt that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hm, MY09 manual is as I stated. If they allow 7.5 K Mls now, maybe my self set 5K Mls is quite fine... Synth was required per my manual, but should be pretty obvious anyways. BTW, no warranty would cover my engine anyways, Aloha...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I drive an 05 STI, recently had the engine rebuilt with forged pistons and other stronger parts. I also have an air/oil seperator. Currently around 360awhp. Now more to the point I have been burning a good amount of oil approx a quart per 9 days. Also I am currently using Royal purple HPS 10w30 and live in the Houston,tx area. Any ideas why so much oil loss. Just for the skeptics there are no oil leaks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ltgardner40 View Post
    I drive an 05 STI, recently had the engine rebuilt with forged pistons and other stronger parts. I also have an air/oil seperator. Currently around 360awhp. Now more to the point I have been burning a good amount of oil approx a quart per 9 days. Also I am currently using Royal purple HPS 10w30 and live in the Houston,tx area. Any ideas why so much oil loss. Just for the skeptics there are no oil leaks.
    There is likely a mechanical issue.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

May be no oil leaks, but you're more than likely burning it off. Willing to bet you either have blown turbo seals, or the piston rings weren't seated correctly.

Get a compression test done.

Royal Purple isn't known to be the best oil for Subarus either...they don't even make the list of Subaru's approved oils.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Try a thicker 5w40 oil. Houston gets very hot and the 10w30 is probably not durable enough.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.