??What oil should I use?? - Page 11
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've used M1 for many years and always been very happy with it. Last car was an 06 WRX I ...

I've used M1 for many years and always been very happy with it. Last car was an 06 WRX I had from new but I've just gotten a 12 STi and I'm planning on using Royal Purple in it. I've been reading quite a few reviews of Royal Purple and have yet to see any negative comments. Curious what experience any of you folks have had using it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First read the bottle. If it does not meet Sunaru's spec (in terms of grade, not just viscosity) its not correct and won't meet your warranty requirements.

Second disregard opinions. They are useless.

Data matter. Nothing else. Experiences are stories; they are not data so they are more suitable for water cooler discussions than actual analysis. Data will tell you wear rates, rate of viscosity breakdown, TBN initial and final values -- actual useful information.

If its not data don't bother.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

In my opinion SD doesn't know what he's talking about. But as he said opinions are useless so what does it matter!

Any synthetic oil in the right viscosity is going to be just fine at the end of the day. I almost just bought a jug of Castrol for my cars because I wanted to try it out, although I've used Mobil 1 exclusively for 15 years now. But I didn't because I don't really think it makes that much of a difference what I buy as long as it's a name brand synthetic in the right weight.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    In my opinion SD doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Agreed. Truer words have never been spoken.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You say valvoline has a guarantee, but so does amsoil. I think if you pick the right viscosity of synthetic then your car will be fine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Guarantees are absolutely worthless, if not offensive. I consider them a negative point against the product rather than an advantage.

Interesting article on oils...comparison with synthetics and hybrids (hope this link works):
    http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Royal purple has been proven to break down allot faster for daily driving. Royal purple was meant for track use, beat on it and change it. Mobil 1 is great, been a Mobil 1 fan for years. But I have started running full synthetic rotella t. This is the same stuff generations before use used in farm equipment, semi over the road trucks and pretty much every moto event, drag event, monster Truck event, poke around the pits and you will see lots of people running rotella. Its amazing. does not break down, and is tried and true across the board. And is allot cheaper than cooler named oils lol.

Sent from the digital leash........

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    Interesting article on oils...comparison with synthetics and hybrids (hope this link works):
    http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
    It is fantastic (absolutely fabulous, no less!) that Amsoil was not in that test. I don't like dealing with that product at all.

The test in and of itself was useful if -- and only if -- one is interested in protecting the specific bearing shown. If so, I'd follow the test results. However I don't see any relevance between the test performed and how any of the oils tested will perform in an engine. For that, there are UOA data widely available (though not for many of the specific products tested, since they are AU market versions).

One useful piece of info many here would find startling is how much more expensive fluids are outside the US.

I use amsoil in my track only car, but for the subaru I will use a cheaper synthetic when the time comes for a oil change.

I have read the entire thread, Should I use mobil 1 or subaru oil in my 2009 Cobb stage 2+ wrx?
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

at 115k miles, I use whatever oil the oil change place has that I decide to go to at that time.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Anyone use Walmart Supertech oil? The price looks good, but I don't know anything about this oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I use Supertech sometimes; in fact it's in my daily driver (Toyota) right now and I keep it around as top up oil for three of my cars (Honda, Toyota, Subaru).

I have read there are various sources but have yet to read anything proving via data that it is anything but competent. I would be interested to see someone's data if they are negative, as the data and even the (meaningless compared to data, but interesting nonetheless) comments I've seen tend to be quite positive.

In fact, here is an interesting report from a member of another forum:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ue#Post2225492

And here is Supertech in a Forester:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ue#Post2003018

The only issue in my mind is that "Supertech" is ill defined. The suppliers may change, meaning someone different may make the oil more frequently than we'd think. I don't know that this makes any difference, but then again it's hard to judge someone on the basis of its past performance if that something can change. Other than that though I see no reason to avoid it.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-04-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Great read, now I have more of an understanding of what type of oil to use.
    2003 Infiniti FX35 Sport Package - Metallic Copper