??What oil should I use?? - Page 10
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

This is a discussion on ??What oil should I use?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I thought I would share the oil analysis I recently received from Blackstone labs. 2006 Impreza TR, 80.000 PLUS miles ...

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    I thought I would share the oil analysis I recently received from Blackstone labs.
    2006 Impreza TR, 80.000 PLUS miles at the time sample taken. Daily driver, no mods. Started from second oil change after the car birth using only Mobil 1 10W30 either 5W30 depending on the time of the year.
    Replace oil every 5K, +/- few hundred miles, not principal IMO to be exact. Seems Mobil 1 doesn't do too bad.
    Here the results:
    Last edited by nofear6235; 02-19-2012 at 12:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If Cu and Pb are elevated one could suspect bearing wear. In your case Cu is up but Pb is zero and Fe is normal, so their "don't worry, we'll watch" and "turbo" comments make a lot of sense I think.

M1 seems to have done a good job. I use it without worry in one of my cars, and used to use it in two.

EDIT: Just noticed and thought about this: You have correctly gone to 5K for an interval (anything less is just old-fashioned IMO, Subaru should be ashamed to have ever required a 3750 from anyone in my lifetime, shame on them). The averages stated are for 3,900 mi intervals though, so you went ~28% longer than average; your Cu would have likely been lower had you gone only the average interval (how lower I don't know, but you see what I mean).

It is also very, very interesting to see that the viscosity is correct despite using the M1 that so many nasiocers have emphatically stated shears down unacceptably and leads to engine failure. One explanation is that the oil shears initially and then viscosity increases with age (this is in fact seen in M1 0W-40, with which I have had good results and so have the poor souls with modern VAGs and Porsches). Another explanation is that M1 does not lead to engine failure due to shearing, but I don't think that's a point that can be argued effectively at this stage, as it ends invariably in a shouting match "over there" and few are willing to let the data get in their way etc.

Thank you very much for posting your data. The more the merrier.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-19-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If Cu and Pb are elevated one could suspect bearing wear. In your case Cu is up but Pb is zero and Fe is normal, so their "don't worry, we'll watch" and "turbo" comments make a lot of sense I think.

M1 seems to have done a good job. I use it without worry in one of my cars, and used to use it in two.
    Hi SD_GR,
    Thanks for the comments. Your comments is highly appreciated my old friend
    Alex

I also happily surprise about TBN number. "4.3 plenty of active additive left in the oil" "1 most is gone". I am wondering what TBN number for fresh Mobil 1, right after the oil change. Gonna follow up with Blackstone on it.
    Last edited by nofear6235; 02-19-2012 at 01:25 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235 View Post
    Hi SD_GR,
    Thanks for the comments. Your comments is highly appreciated my old friend
    Alex
    It's always fun to talk this stuff over!

Take care!

SD
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It is also very, very interesting to see that the viscosity is correct despite using the M1 that so many nasiocers have emphatically stated shears down unacceptably and leads to engine failure. One explanation is that the oil shears initially and then viscosity increases with age (this is in fact seen in M1 0W-40, with which I have had good results and so have the poor souls with modern VAGs and Porsches). Another explanation is that M1 does not lead to engine failure due to shearing, but I don't think that's a point that can be argued effectively at this stage, as it ends invariably in a shouting match "over there" and few are willing to let the data get in their way etc.

Thank you very much for posting your data. The more the merrier.
    My pleasure. As for many claiming engine failure due using M1 (specially 5W30), I have had noticed through my long years that only few people have data based on actual facts on particular subject while other just ride on the bandwagon and repeat what they overheard without reliable facts.
    Alex

ok i have a 2002 wrx wagon with 103k miles what oil do i use? its my daily driver

did you read the first post of the thread?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

What does your manual say?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

dont hav a manual.. and i dont understand any of those words

Quote Originally Posted by shaggin wagon915 View Post
    i dont understand any of those words
    Not trying to be rude at all, but what part of it don't you understand? I just ask because I'd like to actually help you learn and understand.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    OK fine, with no manual for reference and no warranty for worries I would select Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40. Should be fine anywhere from Arctic circle to sub-Saharan Africa, so your location is also irrelevant. Shop for price, see if there are large containers (4L) available and buy two (8L) the first time. You need 5L to do an oil change.

5w-30 dyno oil.

Or call a local Subaru dealer's service department and ask what they recommend at 102k miles.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Not trying to be rude at all, but what part of it don't you understand? I just ask because I'd like to actually help you learn and understand.

just everything,,, i bought the car and im not really subaru savvy.. and i also would like to know about the oil filter too like a good brand or if its relavant.. and i can get that oil at autozone or where?

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Going back to my post #138. I finally got chance to talk to Blackstone lab rep and ask him about TBN # for the fresh/virgin Mobil 1.
    Here is his answer:
    I wasn't able to quickly find a TBN on virgin Mobil 1, but it typically ranges between 10 and 12.

I just want to keep you guys updated.
    Alex